Chapter 8- The Wand Exchange

I woke up early the next morning. The sun had just risen above the horizon when I walked out of the house. I did a double take and grabbed some bread from the counter. I walked down to the harbor and onto the ship. Ben was sleeping on an old mattress peacefully. It was sickening.

I placed it on the plate he had used the night before for dinner and went up to the main deck. I looked around, climbing up the ropes to see if there were any new tears in the masses.

"Cruella De Vil, Cruella De Vil. If she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will. To see her is to take a sudden chill. Cruella, Cruella De Vil," I sang softly. "The curl of her lips, the ice in her stare. All innocent children had better beware. She's like a spider waiting for the kill. Look out for Cruella De Vil." I smiled.

"I admit that in the past, I've been a nasty. They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a witch. But you'll find that nowadays, I've mended all my ways. Repented, seen the light, and made a switch." Uma walked onto the ship.

"No, you didn't." I smiled. "Mother knows best, listen to your mother. It's a scary world out there. Mother knows best, one way or another, something will go wrong, I swear!" I changed the song.

"I know that your powers of retention are as wet as a warthog's backside. But thick as you are, pay attention. My words are a matter of pride," Uma started. "Come on, I know which one you're thinking of." She smirked.

I slid down the rope and landed perfectly on the deck. "Gosh, it disturbs me to see you, Gaston. Looking so down in the dumps. Every guy here'd love to be you, Gaston. Even when taking your lumps. There's no man in town as inspired as you. You're ev'ryone's favorite guy. Ev'ryone's awed and inspired by you. And it's not very hard to see why." I started to laugh at the end. "Gaston was really self-conceited."

"You sound like your mother." Uma smiled.

I cringed. "I hope to Hades not."

Uma shook her head with a smile. "What are you doing up this early in the morning? It's six in the morning."

I shrugged. "I really don't know."

"Gilly too uncomfortable to snuggle with?" Uma teased.

"Shut up," I whined.

"Go get some breakfast." Uma smiled.

I trudged to the ship and one of the waitresses placed a tray in front of me. I nodded to her and started to eat.

"Couldn't sleep, sweetie?" Gil asked quietly, kissing my cheek afterward.

I smiled slightly. "No, just adrenaline to get that wand and finally set all of us free," I said quietly.

Gil smiled back. He looked around for a moment before looking back at me. "Want to go back to the tavern? We can continue that pool game from a couple days ago."

"As long as your brothers don't try to interrupt us," I said.

"I can't promise it. But we'll try to." Gil took my hand.

He led me back to the tavern and started to set up the pool table. I felt someone staring at me as I aimed my cue stick and hit the white ball into the others.

"Hi, Dad," Gil said, making my shoulders relax. I thought it was a creeper trying to see if I had a good body.

"Hello, Gil. Back again with Miss Claire, I see," Gaston stated.

"I like being here, sir." I smiled.

"Glad to hear it. Would you like anything?" Gaston offered.