Chapter 19- Genius

"What happened?" I looked down at my now-human hands.

I had unfroze and turned back into a human. It all happened in a flash, and I don't know how long I've been frozen. I felt completely stiff, like I couldn't move even if I wanted to.

"Claire?"

My eyes widened, and I ran toward his voice, practically jumping onto him when I spotted him. I wrapped my arms around him tightly as he held my waist. "Are you hurt? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Gil. Just turned to stone for who knows how long," I said with my head on his shoulder.

"Claire!" Uma ran over to us. "Thank god you're okay."

"What happened?" I asked.

"Mal got the scepter. Audrey's asleep," Uma explained quickly.

"We have to get her into her dorm. We'll figure it out from there." Mal walked up to us.

"I'll take care of it." I cleared my throat.

Mal led me to the tower, and I used my magic to move Audrey to her dorm. I laid her down and tucked her under the sheets, folding her hands on her stomach. She looked peaceful as the others gathered in the room.

"She's slipping away," Evie whispered.

"There's only one person in the world who can do something about it, and that's Hades." Mal sighed.

"Hades? He wouldn't do it. I won't risk it." Ben shook his head.

"Actually, he might do it for us. He's my father," Mal explained.

There was a shocked silence as everyone looked at each other.

"Well, I'll have to send guards to get him," Ben murmured.

"Maybe I can hitch a ride," Uma said.

"The Isle is my home. Somebody needs to be there to protect it."

"Well, then. You'll need your first mate," Harry said, walking up and standing next to Uma.

"Claire?" Gil looked at me.

"There's no need to ask me that question." I stood by his side.

"Claire-"

"Benjamin," I cut him off. "I am going back to the Isle whether you like it or not."

"But what about Mom and Dad? They've missed you so much," Ben pointed out.

"Then they'll miss me a little more," I snapped.

"Claire, please, stay. You might actually like it around here," Mal said calmly.

I took a deep breath, trying to stay calm. "Can I take a walk? I need to think."

Ben nodded, licking his lips, and I walked out of the room.

The castle was enormous; I felt like I was getting lost in the halls. Little things stood out to me. The roses carved into paintings. The baby with long brown hair, yellow sparkles shimmering around her tiny hand. Two identical babies in a crib, smiling in the painting.

I came across a room with a rose carved into the door.

"Recludo," I whispered.

The door unlocked easily, and I turned the doorknob, walking into the room.

There was a yellow four-poster bed against the wall furthest from the door. A white vanity was in the corner. They painted the walls half-blue, half-yellow. Family colors. I walked into the middle of the room, admiring the baby pictures of Ben and I.

"Freeze! You are trespassing on royal grounds!" someone shouted at me.

"My name is Blair, daughter of the Queen of Hearts." I didn't turn around.

"Arrest her," a guard mumbled. "Put your hands behind your back, and don't resist," the guard said warningly.

I did without hesitation, smirking at how they didn't recognize me. They turned me around, facing the guard who yelled at me. "Lucky you. You're going back to the Isle with Uma and her gang." He suddenly slapped me. I didn't flinch. "You're a fool."

I'm a genius.