Chapter 16- Night Falls

"Ben?" Mal called.

"Ha ha, this way!" Dude said, sniffing the air for Ben with me.

"Ben could be asleep anywhere," Mal said in frustration.

"Or turned to stone," Celia said as Evie covered her mouth.

"Ben!" Mal called, more fear in her voice.

"I got his scent. Very pungent cologne, easy to track. Follow me, people!" Dude announced.

"That's great, Dude," Jay said, trying to ease the tension.

"FYI, I give great cuddles too," Dude said.

"Really? I never really had a pet growing up. Well, except for the elk head in Dad's man cave, but I don't think that really-"

"Hold up!" Uma stopped us.

I turned and saw claw marks on the wall. "What's this?" Uma asked.

"Uh, any chance that this was already there?" Carlos asked Mal.

"And, follow us!" Dude said, continuing to walk ahead of the group.

"Where are you from?" Dude asked flirtily.

I barked at him. "Okay, okay. I'll leave you alone."

I followed the scent with Dude and led them to a pair of doors. Mal opened the room to the Hall of Knights, where suits of armor stood about six feet apart from each other. I looked curiously at a stain-glass window display of a baby in a yellow dress.

"Who's that?" Uma noticed the display.

"Claire, Ben's twin sister. Taken by a villain when she was a baby and hidden on the Isle of the Lost. Ben wanted to go look for her tomorrow, but obviously that's not going to be the case," Mal explained.

I heard Uma sigh. "I bet you lost some sleep thinking about me on the loose, huh?"

"No. Dragons don't really lose sleep. I wonder what fried octopus tastes like."

"Okay, cut it out." Evie came between them.

"We're celebrating our differences," Uma said.

We were gathered around a night and I saw Harry jerk suddenly. "I believe we're being challenged."

Uma put out a hand to stop him from talking. "Let's split up and look for Audrey."

"That makes absolutely no sense. Unless you give me the ember, she's going to spell you," Mal argued.

"Do you like a prince, Mal? How about a knight in shining armor? Or knights?" Audrey asked, her voice coming from the suit. A maniacal laugh came from the armor as the other knights sprang to life.

Watch your back, watch your back

We can counter their attack

Hit 'em 'til the armor cracks

This could get a little sticky

How to win this battle could be tricky

But I know the best way

Fall back let me lead, you hold the line

And we'll bring them to their knees

Swords in the air if you're with me

They got us outnumbered one to fifty

But victory is ours