Chapter 10- Am I Allowed To Say It?

I sat on the edge of the bed that night, thinking. What did I do wrong? Where did I go wrong?

"Sweetheart." Gil walked into the room and shut the door. "Mrs. Queen said you needed a bit of management. So, I'm here," he explained.

"We failed Gil. The barrier's still up, and worst of all, our captain is not on this side of the barrier." I looked down at the ground.

"But that means you'll be in charge now. Isn't that a good thing?" Gil asked.

"No, Gil, it's not. I was just fine being the right-hand woman, but now I have to manage a crew of twenty or so people," I explained.

"Hey, look at me." He sat next to me.

I turned my head slowly. "You're going to be just fine. Sure, it's going to be a little different. But, you have me. And Harry. And the rest of the crew on your side." Gil wrapped his arms around me, pulling my waist toward his side. I shifted so that I could lay my head in his lap. I did, and he smiled, untying my bandana.

"Promise you won't get mad if I tell you this?" Gil said.

"What?" I smiled.

"I kinda don't like the bandana," Gil admitted. He flicked the bangs out of my face. "I think you look perfect just like this."

I smiled lightly. "I'll take note of that."

He played with my hair, making me relax. He twirled the stands, braiding and twisting them. I hummed in enjoyment, making him smile and continued.

We stayed like that until the night rose. Gil picked me up and placed me on the pillow, him crawling into the spot next to me. He wrapped an arm around me, as if he was afraid I would stay on the other side of the bed.

"You're going to be a great captain," Gil assured me, pecking my cheek. "Captain Claire has a ring to it, doesn't it?" he chuckled.

I giggled in response, nodding my head. There was a comfortable silence before Gil said something that almost made my heart stop.

"I love you," Gil had blurted out.

My eyes widened as I turned over to face him. Gil seemed to freeze too as I stared at him.

"Gil... you know we can't say lo-"

"Your parents said love, right? They loved each other," Gil reasoned calmly. "Nothing's going to stop me from loving you. And if you don't love me, that's fine. Because eventually, we'll get there."

"Gil," I started, my eyes softening. I smiled and tilted my head up, kissing his lips lightly. "Am I allowed to say it?"

Gil nodded. "I love you too."

He smiled and held me impossibly closer to him. "That feels weird, saying that," I admitted.

"I know. At first, it did for me. But then I realized that once you say it more often, it rolls naturally," Gil explained.

"When did you want to say I love you?" I asked curiously.

"When you snapped at my brother," Gil admitted.

I giggled. "What? I'm serious! My brothers get all the girls. You, you're the only one who I've gotten," Gil explained.

"And I'll be the only one you ever need to have," I assured him.