Chapter 9- Cotillion

The crew and I turned on the TV in the shoppe just as Cotillion was about to start. I rolled my eyes as Evie was being interviewed for her designs. I was glad Dizzy got to share her designs with Evie. I just didn't like Evie.

After a few minutes of showing random people dancing, the screen flickered to a staircase. Lumiere appeared with a trumpet fanfare.

"The future Lady Mal," he announced.

Mal came out with a blue and yellow dress on. I admit, that would be something I would wear if I were into dresses. I saw Belle and Beast with proud smiles on their faces.

Another fanfare sounded, and Lumiere appeared again at the top of the staircase.

"King Benjamin!" he said in his accent thickly.

Ben appeared, and I smirked. I saw he had a hazy look in his eyes, meaning Uma had succeeded in the spell. Ben walked down the stairs in discomfort as Mal approached him. He bowed quickly and looked up at her.

"Mal, I wish I had time to explain..." Ben trailed off as the camera flickered back to the staircase.

Uma walked gracefully down the steps. Ben looked up at her with an adoring look in his eyes as Mal gasped with hurt. The four looked at each other in disbelief as Ben took Uma's hand and led her down the stairs. Once at the bottom, he kneeled down and kissed it.

"Ye bibiddi-bobiddi-booed the Hades out of her, lass," Harry said.

I nodded as Gil took my hand in his, squeezing it slightly.

I'm sorry, it all happened so fast." Mal eyed Uma as Ben spoke. "Something happened when I was on the Isle with Uma. A connection."

"What are you saying?" Mal blinked. I could tell she was finding this hard to be real.

"I'm saying-"

"It was love!" Uma gushed. "It was. I just, I realized how alike Ben and I are, you know?"

"We are," Ben agreed quietly.

"Ben," Mal said softly. "Ben," she repeated, louder this time. "Did you go back for her?"

"He didn't have to." Uma sighed. "I dove through the barrier before it closed, and I'm an excellent swimmer."

"You are," Ben agreed nonchalantly.

"Thank you." Uma giggled.

"Listen, Mal." Uma took Mal's hand in hers, startling the latter. "I just really want to thank you. I do. For everything." Uma then pulled Mal into a quick hug, trying to fool everyone that she was good.

"Don't you see, Mal? You were right. You knew that we weren't meant to be together, that's why you never told me that you loved me." Ben put a hand on her arm.

After a few brief moments, music started to play and Uma handed a girl her purse. I almost dozed off to it, but the adrenaline of wanting the wand kept me going. As I listened, I noticed it was the faint tune of Kiss The Girl. Jane, Fairy Godmother's daughter, ran up to Lumiere and told him something. The music stopped as the light appeared back on Lumiere.

"And now, for the unveiling of King Ben's masterpiece, designed especially for his lady," Lumiere announced.

"Oh no," I whispered.

A glass window pane was unveiled. It was of Ben and Mal in an early sunset, Ben taking Mal's hand in his. Everyone clapped as Ben walked toward it.

"Do something, Uma," I whispered desperately.

"Cover that back up!" Uma demanded.

"I will not!" Lumiere retorted.

"Uh... Why don't you tell everyone present you have for me, Ben?" Uma turned to Ben.

He blinked, straightening his mind and the spell over him. "I have an announcement. Uma will be joining the court tonight as my lady."

"Son..." Beast took off his glasses.

"Not now, Dad!" Ben exclaimed. He paused as everyone was taken aback. "So, as my gift to her, I'm bringing down the barrier once and for all," he finished.

Beast put his glasses back, and I looked at Harry. Harry's smirk grew, and so did mine.

"Maties..." Harry trailed off.

"We ride with the tide!" I finished, Gil kissing me passionately afterwards. Everyone cheered as they looked back at the TV. I separated our lips with a smile and ran a finger down his chest.

"I love you," Gil whispered.

"I love you," I replied, kissing him sweetly before turning back to the TV.

"I am your king!" Ben said firmly.

"Obey him!" Uma added.

"Take it down a notch, Uma," I mumbled.

"Ben," Mal said suddenly, walking up to him. "Ben. Look at me."

"No, look at me. You love me, remember?" Uma reminded him.

"No, you don't."

"Yes, you do."

"Ben, look at me."

"Bring down the barrier now!" Uma barked.

"I do not take orders from you!" Fairy Godmother snapped.

"Ben..." Uma said warningly.

"Ben. I never told you I love you because I thought I wasn't good enough. And I thought it was only a matter of time before you realized it yourself. But Ben, that's me. I'm part Isle, and part Auradon."

"Ben, eyes over here." Uma turned him around.

"And Ben, you've always known who we were and who we can be," Mal added.

"Don't listen to her," Uma argued.

"Ben, I know what love feels like now." Mal smiled. "Ben, of course I love you. Ben, I've always loved you." She pulled him in for a kiss.

"No!" I screamed.

"Give it to me!" Uma lunged at Fairy Godmother.

"Guards, seize her!" Fairy Godmother shrieked.

Uma, in defeat, ran toward the edge of the dock.

"No, no, stop, please stop!" Mal begged the others. She turned to Uma. "Uma, I know you. You are so much more than just a villain. And you have to believe me because I've been there. Do not let your pride get in the way of something you really want," Mal said cautiously.

Uma's necklace glowed, and she hesitated for a moment. She then dove over the railing into the water. There was silence before there was a splash of water and the TV blacked.