9

october 23, 2018

i woke up with a major headache and let the memories from last night slip in. i get up and walk downstairs to grab some advil. i walk into the kitchen and elijah points to a glass of water and advil and i smile at him weakly.

elijah: did you say goodmorning to billie?

i tap my finger on the cup and look at him

madison: she's back?

elijah: yeah she got back this morning.

madison: what took her so long

elijah: she spent the night at finn's house

madison: is claudia alright?

i put the pill in my mouth and start to chug the water down, almost choking on it when i hear what he says;

elijah: she's in hospital

madison: what?!

elijah: um, they said she was shot when one of two of the gun shots went off

madison: where was she shot?

elijah: the abdomen. she's already awake though.

madison: oh my fucking god. and what about finneas?

elijah: he ended up okay

i ignore the pain in my head and grab the keys from the counter

madison: i'm going to the hospital.

i walk out the door without another word and get into my car, starting it then driving to the hospital.

***

i get to the hospital and go inside. once i sign a paper i'm told what room she's in and run there. i walk in and quietly sit down on the armchair that's in the corner of the room, finding that she's asleep. i look at her body on the bed and immediately begin to cry. i knew i should have went and looked for her last night. i was surprised to see that finneas wasn't here. i took a deep breath and walked out of the room. i got in my car and went back home. when i pulled into the driveway i saw billie's car and my heart dropped. i walked inside and went straight to my room, ignoring the fact billie followed me. i grab a bag and start to pack clothes.

billie: maddie what are you doing?

madison: i'll be staying at the hospital since nobody else wants to show that they care for clauds

i zip the bag and walk downstairs as she still follows behind.

billie: bro she's at the hospital and she's fine

madison: she could be dead tomorrow you never know

billie: madison she's fine

i stop and look at her

madison: you don't care about her. you wouldn't care less if she dies or not.

billie: she's at the hosp-

madison: did you take her there?

she stays quiet and looks down. just as i thought.

madison: you went to find your brother and that was it.

billie: he's my brother maddie

i drop the bag and slam her against the wall, punching the wall, my fist landing right next to her face leaving a dent. these walls are actually quite thin.

madison: and she's your friend! she's finneas' girlfriend!

finneas: was

i turn to look at him, letting billie go.