Chapter II: Double Potions

Oakley sat in her seat, stunned as she realized that the scent of Amortentia was coming from the pale Hufflepuff she had just met. Did this mean anything? It has to be a coincidence, Oakley thought to herself. After a few more moments of dazed and confused thoughts and an extremely slow packing job, Oakley picked herself up from the seat and made her way out the door. She had a free block before lunch, so she decided to go sit in the Slytherin common room to be alone with her thoughts.

As she walked down the stone of the dungeons, she heard a second set of footsteps nearing her. Before she could comprehend the fact that someone was behind her, she felt a pair of hands grab her shoulders, causing her to jolt and let out a high pitched squeal.

"Will!" she yelled turning around to him. "Merlin's beard, you scared me!"

"Hey! Stop!" he smiled as she playfully punched his chest, causing him to let out a short laugh.

"What are you doing down here?"  she asked as she kept walking towards the dungeons with him by her side. "I thought you had Charms this period?"

"I do. Pansy left her textbook in the common room and she asked me if I could fetch it for her while she asked Professor Flitwick something,"

Pansy? Oakley started thinking to herself. Why is Will doing Pansy favors?

"Oh, ok." she said, ignoring her wandering mind. 

They walked a little ways until they arrived at the entrance to their common room. They said the password and entered. Oakley walked right over to the couch while William jogged over to a table near the windows to get Pansy's book. Why didn't she get it herself? was the only thought going through Oakley's head. She knew something was off about this, and she wasn't necessarily someone to give her the benefit of the doubt. 

Not even just because it was Pansy, it was Oakley's outlook on life in general. Her parents always told her that people will disappoint her, and she needs to accept that sooner than later or life will get really difficult as time goes on. Giving people the benefit of the doubt gives them the power to disappoint you, and that wasn't something Oakley would let happen. 

"Don't you think it's kind of odd that Pansy is having you come get her stuff?" Oakley asked as William started to leave.

"What do you mean?" he asked innocently, stopping in his tracks. "I'm just helping out a friend. It's not like she has any intentions with me. You know her,"

"Yes, I do know her," she stood up and advanced towards the boy. "And so do you. She's obsessed with you, Will. She'll also do whatever it takes to ruin our relationship, not that that would be relevant in any situation involving the both of you," she said with oozing sarcasm.

"Oak," they were now less than a foot apart. "She hasn't liked me for years. She's changed, you know. Maybe if you would just give her a chance, you might-"

"I'm sorry, give her a chance?" Oakley's face was starting to heat up as her hands balled into fists. "Are we talking about the same Pansy? The Pansy that has been horrible to me for years just because you wanted me and not her? The Pansy that beat me up last April because I accidentally used her hair brush and Lily wasn't there to calm her down? You have to be kidding, Will,"

"You're being unreasonable, she's probably just jealous! If you were in her shoes and I had picked her in third year, I'm sure you would do the same."

"William," Oakley felt her heart sink at his comment. "How little do you think of me? If you had chosen her, which you have always said wasn't even a thought in your mind by the way, I would bloody move on is what I would do! I wouldn't continue to try to mess with her three years later, it's pathetic!"