Chapter XXXIII: I would've won

A/N: Spice warning! There's slightly mature content ahead.

-

Oakley barely felt her legs as they carried her down the stairs of the stands and out onto the pitch. There were professors surrounding Cedric, including Dumbledore, who had his wand out and was mumbling incantations over Cedric's body. Oakley didn't hear the quiet murmurs of the crowd as she was about to reach him, calling out his name, only to be stopped by Snape.

"Miss Adams, please," Snape stated, a rare tinge of emotion in his voice.

"Let me through, I need to see him! Cedric!" she cried, trying to release herself from Snape's grip. "Let me go!"

She watched as Amos and his wife ran towards the boy. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but they kneeled down next to him. The players on both teams were surrounding the group from afar; only Carter came close as he ran to Oakley and took her out of Snape's hold. He held her tightly in his arms as he rubbed her back while she cried.

"Let me see him," she sobbed, so quietly it was almost inaudible. Her breathing was scarce.

"Oakley, breathe," Carter whispered into her ear as she buried her face in his uniform. "They're taking him to the hospital wing now,"

He released Oakley enough for her to watch as Dumbledore levitated Cedric and walked him towards the castle, his parents and a few professors following behind. As she watched Cedric's unconscious body floating through the air, she felt her throat become heavier and her cries became louder.

-

Oakley sat in the corridor outside of the hospital wing, waiting for the professors to allow her entrance. It was 12:00 am and she had been there for around 4 hours, her tears never subsiding as she sat with a blank stare. Amos walked out, closing the door behind himself as Oakley stood up in anticipation. She looked at him questioningly.

"He's still unconscious, but Madam Pomfrey believes he'll be alright," Amos hummed with a nervous expression. He had clearly been crying.

"W-what happened?" Oakley asked.

"Well, the impact broke three of his vertebrae, his left shoulder, and gave him a severe concussion," he stated. "And the bludger shattered five of his ribs,"

Oakley felt the breath leave her body as Cedric's father explained the damage. She had never felt such hatred towards someone as she did Lily right then. She could've killed him, she thought. Her tears picked up once again and she had to sit back down. Amos slowly walked over and sat next to her. He wrapped his arm around her and hugged her as she cried.

"It's going to be okay," Amos said. "Cedric's a fighter, always has been,"

"I know, but he could've died," she mumbled. "I don't even want to imagine..."

She trailed off as Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Sprout exited the room followed by Cedric's mother.

She quickly stood up and Dumbledore gave her a single nod before stepping out of the pathway to the door. Oakley moved as fast as she could into the hospital wing, running over to the bed where Madam Pomfrey stood over Cedric's sleeping body. She felt her heart drop at the sight whilst flashbacks flooded her head from last October when William stunned Cedric, knocking him unconscious and sending him to the hospital wing for almost a week. Madam Pomfrey sent Oakley an apologetic smile and motioned for her to sit in the chair next to Cedric.

As she sat, she reached for his right hand and felt the warmth of his skin. She ran her fingers over his rings absentmindedly as she looked at his bruised face. He was covered in cuts and bandages, but he still looked peaceful.