Chapter III: Pansy Parkinson

The following weeks consisted of Oakley and Cedric getting more and more fed up with one another, Oakley and William's argument blowing over, and lots of late nights where the girl lay awake, contemplating her relationships.

Potions had become the main class Oakley looked forward to, though she wouldn't admit it. She secretly enjoyed arguing with Cedric, seeing the fire in his eyes burn every time she would snap at him, hoping he would snap back. It started to rattle Oakley how much Cedric could compose himself. Why wouldn't he fight back? She wanted to see how far she could push the Hufflepuff, something had to push him over the edge eventually. 

Cedric, on the other hand, was being driven mad by the girl. She just got ruder and ruder to him, but sometimes he would notice her smiling at him when he wasn't looking. He had caught her looking for him in the great hall a few times, and he couldn't get those small moments out of his mind. He knew there was a reason behind her actions towards him, but he didn't know how much longer he could put up with them without knowing what they were. 

His anger grew and grew every time she ignored him or make an offensive comment, because he knew she didn't really hate him. He could tell. He didn't know how or why he knew, but he did. There was something about the way she delivered some of the things she said. She didn't mean it. If she called him stupid, dumb, annoying or really anything insulting him as a person, there was a slight sense of doubt in her voice, as if she didn't really believe the things she was saying. Cedric wanted to understand. He needed to understand. 

-

It was a cool Tuesday morning in mid-October. Oakley had just woke up to a slight breeze coming through her cracked window. She didn't have to get ready to leave for breakfast yet, so she went and sat down in a comfy chair that rested below the window. Pulling on William's jumper, she looked out the window onto the colorful Hogwarts grounds. She saw waves of crimson, mahogany, and vermilion crossing the forbidden forest. Turning her head to the black lake, she saw the calm water resting as the sun was rising behind it. Her thoughts were disrupted by a rustling Pansy behind her, getting out of bed, getting dressed and leaving the dormitory without a single word or glance towards Oakley.

Oakley hugged her waist, feeling William's jumper against her soft, pale skin. They had never talked through their Pansy drama. One day Lily and Carter decided they would sit together at lunch, so William and Oakley just pushed their thoughts to the back of their head and moved on. Oakley still felt a sense of betrayal and jealousy when she thought of William and Pansy's growing friendship that was blossoming right under her nose, but she didn't want to argue again, so she kept her emotions tucked away. She trusted William, even if she didn't trust Pansy. She knew he would never do anything that would hurt her. 

When Lily woke up, the pair got into their robes, did their hair and makeup and went down to the common room to meet the boys and walk to breakfast. Trotting down the stairs, Oakley noticed it was just Carter waiting with an uncomfortable look on his face.

"Henderson," Lily called out before Oakley could say anything. "Where's Will?"

"He, um..." he trailed off slightly, avoiding the brunettes sharp gaze. "He went down to breakfast already,"

"Alone?" Oakley butt in.

"No," he looked at the girl apologetically. "With Pansy."

Oakley felt a sudden stab in her chest. They had walked to breakfast together every day since they made up, this was so unlike him. Oakley tried to compose herself and make it seem as though she was unaffected by these words.

"Oh," was all she said with wide eyes, suggesting she was just curious and not seeping with irritation.

"I'm going to find that git and put him in his place if it's the last bloody thing I-" Lily ranted as she quickly advanced towards the common room exit.