The League Chain.

Max slid into a large building into a small prep room. His eyes met those of Serena as she smirked.

"We're lucky someone stepped in for Second." Max wasn't surprised. Second hadn't been able to take their position and it was hardly a replacement. Max glanced at the screen and saw that the second challenger was working on getting past Second's replacement. Max gulped before going over to a desk. It was his personal place at the league for him to get ready. He sighed as he pulled a small screen down.

~!*!~

The challenger stepped into the third room and paused. This was the last challenger and it was amazing how far this kid was going. She took a steady breath before looking across at the opponent. They wore a hoodie that had its adjusting strings pulled all the way to cover their face. She took out a pokeball as the opponent did.

~!*!~

With pure ease, luck in her eyes, the young challenger swept the elite 4. And they were hardly difficult. The first one scared her, but was pretty friendly and didn't give that much struggle. The second was a replacement and hardly made her flinch. The third gave her a bad vibe and really gave her a scare, but wasn't much of a sweat. The fourth really tore her up and put her into a panic, but barely finished her. The champion, without her seeing it, scared her. She went into the grand room and saw a tall male with his back to her. She gulped lightly before clearing her throat, grabbing his attention. The male turned and grinned.

"Well... I didn't think someone would make it this far. Congrats."

(Now see him as an adult)

"The name's Ash. But you're not going to be telling people that. All you'll say is that you didn't get a name if people ask." The young girl gulped.

"As figured." She took out a pokeball. "I, Amberly, will take that position! The one that no one has achieved!" Ash grinned.

"I like the enthusiasm. In that case, I accept your challenge! As the champion of the Alola League, you will fall!"

~!*!~

Silence filled the air as the two Pokemon dropped. It didn't matter if one got up now. He had one left after that one. He returned his Garchomp and went over. The girl had her head lowered and her hair shaded her eyes. He held out his hand.

"Not bad! I'll say, that's the closest anyone's gotten to the title." Her eyes met his upon those words.

"Really?" He nodded as she took his hand. "Thanks for the battle! I'll be back! Stronger than now!"

"Good! I look forward to it!" She beamed as she returned the Dewong she had used and raced towards the exit. A chuckle filled the air after she was gone.

"Two pokemon and you were done." Ash turned to see Serena, Max, Delia, and Bonnie standing near the throne at the back.

"Please. She wouldn't have gotten past the last one. You guys know that." Max scoffed.

"Even if she tried, she would still be out of Pokemon strength. She was safe with her current position."

"C'mon. We have a meeting with the entire chain."

~!*!~

The group went into a small bridge near Iki Town. They had worked hard to set up a base to a spot where no one could find it. Paul was standing at the entrance of the bridge. His eyes drifted over the group as they went over.

"You're lucky I was in the region." Bonnie growled lightly as she passed him. He gulped.

"Please don't tell me there was a loss in that attack..." Max gulped.

"One." He groaned.

"Yeah... I'm screwed..."

The group giggled as they followed after Bonnie into the walled area. Inside was a raft like town that was buzzing with life. Ash grinned as he and the others went to one of the large, official looking buildings. Inside there was a group awaiting. Bonnie was already inside with a pissed face. Paul went pale.

"Bonnie... don't kill me..." Bonnie hummed at his words

"You're right. I'll kill you later." Paul swallowed gently at that.

"That doesn't sound any better." Max giggled. Delia put a hand on Paul's shoulder.

"Trust me, Paul. If she doesn't, someone will." Paul shuddered at her words.

"Mom, he's been through enough trying to recover and prepare. You guys shouldn't jump on him just because he's behind." Ash quickly intervened. Paul gently sighed with relief, nodding to the tall raven haired male. He was grateful that Ash cared after he told him what had happened in detail.

"Thanks Ash..." He gazed around the room. "So... what are we needed for?" Bonnie sighed as Lillie stood up.

"Well... let's see..."

~!*!~

The group quickly left the build and split. Max, Serena and Delia, once outside, got into a heated argument. Paul and Ash stayed together as the trio bolted off. Paul sighed.

"You good man? You've been rather slow these days." Paul glanced at Ash as he spoke.

"Ash... I'm alright for the most part."

"Most part?"

Paul jabbed him in the side as Ash questioned him. A chuckle escaped the champion. While Ash had gotten a healthy growth during their time in hiding, Paul had gotten hit by something that made him stay his small self. Paul didn't want to admit it until Ash said he wouldn't judge. And while Paul was still waiting for the bad jokes and bothering from his former rival, Ash did the opposite. He made Paul feel better about the problem. The only time he made fun of Paul was when it slipped.

"To be honest, between the jerk and the recovery, I haven't been able to relax long enough to get anything done..." Ash hummed.

"Are you going to need help?" Paul looked up at Ash. "C'mon. You should be working to recover. And with all that's attacking you, you should be allowed to rest. So let me help." Paul paused before sighing.

"Alright... but... don't... get hurt... you know how long people last around me." Ash wrapped an arm around him as they walked into one of the houses. The setup was unique, so Paul often stayed with Ash, Serena, and Delia so that he wasn't hit by surprise in the middle of the night.

"Paul, name one time that guy has successfully struck me and left me permanently down." Paul's mind went blank.

"Yesterday?"

"Ha! He wished! You were unconscious for that fight!" Paul blinked at his words. "He's hit me once, taken me down; zero. I can handle him, ok?" Paul sighed.

"I guess..." He looked away. "I'll be in my room."

"Alright. Don't forget your chain meeting tomorrow."

"Yeah...." Paul slipped into his room and sat on the bed. This was going to be a long week.

(At the top is one of the artworks from Etta. She has truly shown the League chain. There's two more. You can also see them in her Artwork book.)