Oru Periya Vibathu

Kathir was in shock..

How could it be HIS birthday?

If it was why did he think it was hers..

Why was his head pounding?

And all of a sudden he felt the ground slipping from under him..

Kannan : annanukku pazhasu nyabagam vanthuduchu nenaikkaren..he spilled just as he held Kathir and stopped him from falling..anne pidinne he called out to Jeeva for help..

And that's when he had the first flash...

Him on his trusted TVS 50..bright lights in front of him...him trying to swerve...and then him falling..

He felt a sharp pain in his head..and the last thing he remembered was yelling her name out

Mullai!! He yelled out now as the memory of that accident awakened in him..

The entire room stood in stunned silence..

Mullai he gasped..looking up at her..

She looked ashen...like all the blood had drained out of her...

Mullai ..he whispered trying to catch his athai's attention..

For a moment even Parvathy had forgotten..but his strangled whisper and despearate looks sprung her into action..

She went over to where her daughter stood and held her hand..

But the truth was no one could really understand what she was going through right this moment...not her mom..not even Kathir..

She had been warned...especially once her pregnancy came to light..everytime his doctor spoke to them...during their monthly check up..he warned her..to brace herself for when his memory came back...he might not remember the interim months ...

But even he didn't know the nuances to their relationship...there was so many complications...the pregnancy was just the tip of it..but would she change anything in light of how she felt now...

She held her hand over her tummy..and she knew..no she wouldn't change anything..the 7 months this year were the best in her life...

But she knew the way forward might be bumpy...but that was fine...she would face it..

She drew in a deep breath and tried to calm herself...

There it was that strange flutter again like someone was mimicking a walking movement with their fingertips on the inside walls of her tummy..like a butterfly fluttering...she had felt it for the first time today...her gynaecologist had told her to expect it...she had been waiting to share it with him...

But now...she drew in a deep breath again..

No one here knew how bad this was for her..only she knew..

While she stood thinking all this..

Dhanam had given Kathir some water

Moorthy was busy calling his doctor..to see if he can meet them now..

Kathir was still hugely confused...but a lot of things made sense...

His brother, K maamaa and Saravana not letting him work - they still saw him as a recuperating patient even after 8 months
Saravana, his athai and Kanna not wanting him to ride the vehicle - everyone had felt the aftermath of the accident...didn't want him to ride a vehicle
Meena' s baby bump...he had been confused earlier because in November 2019 she had just announced her pregnancy but almost 9 months later she must be due any moment now..

But there were a few things he couldn't wrap his head around

His Mullai was pregnant..they were going to be parents...how far along was she...when was their baby due...he had so many questions

Her cousin Ashok..he had been there for Diwali last year..and left..was going to be back in February for his sister's wedding...that of course he had no recollection of..but from feb to august why he was still in Chennai he couldn't understand...

Meena's parents...their friendly smile..even now their concern for him...that was new

Moorthy finished his call..and came in

Moorthy :pesitten pa..naalaikku koottittu vara sonnaru..rest edukka sonnaaru..thalai vali irunthuchuna mattum antha pain killer kudukka sonnaru pa...

Mullai : ahn seri mama..

Her voice...her honey laced voice..held so much concern for him..

Mullai : vaanga vanthu cake cut pannunga...

He cut the cake...took the first piece and held it awkwardly for her to eat..

She was surprised..frankly she didnt know what to expect..but she bit a small piece and gave him the remaining

They had a lot planned but decided not to excite him and broke for dinner..

His favourites put together as a menu..

But nobody had the heart to force him to eat...they let him eat as much as he felt like..

And after dinner they dispersed one by one...

Ashok was among the last to leave..

He said an awkward bye to Kathir..

But Kathir felt bad for him..the scene at the shopping area earlier..he could understand now..he had helped Mullai put this together for him..some last minute shopping for his birthday that he had helped his cousin out with..

He also remembered the bear hug he had received from Ashok before he knew that his memory was back,,but now that he knew he didn't know what to do..

Kathir gave him a hug from his side..

Ashok realised it was Kathir's way of letting him know..what it was exactly that the hug tried to convey neither might know...but they would figure it out..

Ashok : naalaikku naan varen..he smiled

Kathir also nodded and mustered up a smile..

Kathir could sense that everyone was a little skittish...but so was he..

Tired ah irukku he mumbled in general and went to his room...

Mullai followed him in sometime...

Wordlessly he stretched his hand inviting her into his arms and she walked in only too happy to be held by him...

An unspoken promise by both that they realised it would not be easy but they would navigate this together..

He had the medicines she gave him...

As was habitual he looked for his pai in its usual corner...but it was not there..

Only a few moments and he turned to her with a sheepish grin..

Kathir : eppudi antha paiya koluthittomo..

Mullai smiled..velila thaan irukku..venumaa...she asked with a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach

But Kathir was already laying his pillow on the bed and waiting for her to climb in..

Mullai : naan nadula rendu moonu vaatti enthirippen..athu naala neenga ul pakkama padukkareengala..

Kathir did that readily enough

Once they were settled  comfortably

Kathir : enna aachu he asked softly

Mullai : naalaikku doctor paarthuttu pesalaam pls..

He said nothing after that...they both turned to opposite sides...

He lay a million questions in his mind...

She lay remembering the accident and the  bleak days that followed