Higher ground;; 30

"We can not tolerate this!" An elderly man shrieked across the table. "This is beyond your love life! Therefore this is not something you can lay down because of some man!"

The silence forced its way into the room as the man finished his last worlds. No one attempted to speak. Berwald seemed like he was about to slit the elder's throat.

"This is indeed surpassing my love life. But this is for the safety of my tribe." The Swedish tribe leader rose up from his seat and began walking around the seated elders around the wooden table. Each of them maintained their breath. 

"I acknowledge this has been carried on for generations. Yet I believe it is time for a change. We are wasting precious lives for something that happened ages ago."  Berwald spoke slowly while maintaining to circle around the table.

"You have lived in this tribe for way longer than I have. You are an elder after all, do you think an infinite war will solve our arguments? Losing oneself for the sake of something that had happened in the past." The elderly tribe members in front of him didn't open their mouth.

Berwald let out an exhausted sigh and stood still behind his empty chair. "I understand this is not something simple, but it is time to change. Who is beside me?" He asked attempting to get any sort of reaction.

One of the younger women grinned up at Berwald. She nodded and stepped behind him. Receiving a disagreeable glare from the elder that had been against this proposal of peace from the very beginning. More followed the Woman. Others stayed seated, over-thinking their leaders offer.

One man raised his hand. "Berwald, what if the Køhler nor the Bondevik tribe won't rebuild agreement with us? We have been in conflict with both of them for over hundreds of years after all." Berwald stared at the man and nodded. "There is a chance they will not agree with our agreement. We have to be prepared for that."

The man didn't seem satisfied with his response "You didn't answer my question." He said short off. "Then there is nothing else to be done," Berwald answered quick off. The man shook his head but stayed quiet.

"Any more questions?" The Aqua-eyed man questioned. None spoke up, nor did they raise their hand. Berwald nodded and proceeded his offer. "I will now ask for your judgment before making a decision." 

Lukas opened the wooden door, slowly walking inside. He had parted from Mathias moments ago and was now on his way to speak with his mother. Emil curiously put his head around the corner, wanting to know who had entered.

The smaller boy went back to where he was seated, pretending not to want his elder brothers attention. The Norwegian man knew what his little brother was doing and gave it to him. He stepped passed him, only greeting him with a wave of his hand before disappearing in another room.

Emil looked up, clearly confused. Lukas always greeted him with either an "unwanted" embrace or something more caring.

The Norwegian man had made his way into the room his mother was washing their clothing. He softly tapped on the wooden door frame, making her lookup. She gave him a soft smile. Lukas crossed his arms, leaning against the door frame, he nodded and returned a small grin.

The Norwegian woman stopped doing the laundry and walked up to her son. He gave her a signal with this head that he required to go outdoors. None of them had spoken a word, there was no need for words yet. Lukas acknowledged he had a lot to explain.

They walked in silence beside each other, Lukas was a bit taller than his mother, yet they looked quite alike. He had her eyes, the alike slim looking body and slender face. His hair colour was a bit darker than her's, she and Emil shared a nearly white hair-colour while his father and himself had a more blonde shade.

The sun was about to go under, this was the moment Lukas decided it was the right time to speak. It had always gone this way if he desired to have a heart to heart with his mother. He would walk in, give her a sign, go outdoor and would talk when he felt it was the right moment.

"I need your input." The younger man began, his mother faced him and nodded, "Take your time Lukas." The Norwegian man gave her a small chuckle in return.

"Do you think it's the right time to get married?" He asked glancing up at the sky that was slowly becoming darker and darker. The Norwegian woman looked surprised but gave him a soft smile not long after.

"Lukas, some light in the darkness is always needed. People lost their loved once in this battle, but they care about you like a family member of their own." The Norwegian leader looked back at his mother, not knowing what to say. "If you are afraid of their answer, you shouldn't be. All of them desire you to be happy."

"That is one of the many reasons why I wonder if this marriage would make sense." She took a step closer and caringly laid her hand on her son's shoulder. He gave her a sad smile in return.

"Mathias asked me to become his husband. I couldn't be more thrilled. Yet both of us are tribe leaders. We cannot have any offspring of our own and no one knows yet." Lukas breathed out softly.

The older woman looked Lukas with surprise. Then quickly got excited. "Lukas I'm so happy for you!" She cried out. The Norwegian man gave her a small weak smile.

"I know you trust Mathias, yet I doubt you trust yourself. The reason why you're anxious is that you don't see a future, am I correct?" Lukas gave her a small uncomfortable nod with his head. "Then there is nothing to worry about. Everyone will support you, Lukas. You may be our leader, but in terms of need we are here to assist you." She said grinning.

The violent-eyed man had no other option than to believe his mother's thoughtful words. Her advice was correct, mostly. He didn't attempt to go against her words.

Both Vikings turned to the village. Side by side they made their way through the cold forest. Both of them were greeted by Emil. Standing in the doorway.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hiya!

I have returned from death, School took a lot of my time so I decided to focus on it first. Luckily I have a [almost finished] holiday which meant I had time to write! I hope it was satisfying, I apologise if it wasn't.

I really hope everyone is doing well, and thank you all so much for still reading this story? Until next time! <3

⚠️I do not own the fanart that has been used for this chapter, nor do I own the characters or Hetalia itself.⚠️

-Dino