CHAPTER TEN

Tay couldn't sing for shit that was why his hands were trembling tremendously as he held the microphone in front of New's relatives. They were gathered in the lawn where New's family set up a karaoke machine and as what they said an "initiation" process, he had to sing New a song.

He looked over at New who was sitting at the far corner, still obviously sulking over what happened earlier. After the commotion, New didn't speak a word to him, completely treating him like air and that made him uneasy.

"Uhhm. I-I'm not really a good singer, but I'll try," he said as he licked his lips that were starting to get dry because of nervousness.

"New, why are you sitting so far away? Come closer!" New's mother called him but New didn't budge.

"I'm fine here, Mom."

Tay wiped the sweat on his forehead as the intro of the song he chose started playing.

I've had people tell me

So many love stories exist

But at that time, I didn't understand yet

Because I still hadn't met you

Since those days I fell in love

I could only write many fairytales

It was only you who showed up and erased them all

And made me understand the meaning

All throughout the song, his eyes never left New as he observed his reaction but the latter just glared at him and  sometimes rolled his eyes before looking at something else.

There's no love stories that describe our love

No matter the words used, it isn't important

The thing that's clear is you and me

We have each other, that's all

No fairytale is important

There were some times I was jealous

Of the love that everyone else got

It made me feel worthless

Because I hadn't met you yet

As the song was about to end, he approached New who was currently scoffing at him. He actually found it cute because he noticed that he was biting his lips, probably stopping himself from smiling.

When I'm near you

The closer we are, the more I understand

You and I have gone through so much

It's not important what our status is

———

New bit his lips and pinched his legs as he watched Tay approach him while singing. He wanted to get away as his heart was about to explode from all the excitement he'd been feeling ever since Tay started singing and he hated himself for being weak when it came to Tay.

He was still furious about what happened earlier but the moment Tay started singing, he just melted. Tay might not have the best voice on earth but knowing that he was singing for him was enough to make his heart weak. And he was afraid he was getting too farfetched from reality.

When I'm near you

The closer we are, the more I understand

You and I have gone through so much