CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

New glanced at Tay who was sitting beside him on the dinner table. His mother on the other hand was still setting up the table. He intended to help but she just dismissed him and let him sit by the table instead.

"Let me help you, mom," Kay, who was sitting on his other side, helped his mom place the food on the table.

He noticed that Tay was looking for something as his eyes scanned the dining room.

"You okay?"

"Where are your glasses?"

"Huh? You want water? I'll get it for you."

"No, just tell me where your glasses are."

"It's over there," he replied and pointed the rack that contained their drinking glasses.

He watched in awe as Tay brought five glasses back and placed them on each side of the plates.

"Oh, you don't have to do that Tay," his mom who just came back from the kitchen with another dish commented.

"No worries, mom. I'm glad to be of help. By the way, where's dad?"

"He's on his way."

As if on cue, his father arrived.

"Oh, I didn't know Tay is coming over."

"Good evening, dad."

He watched in disbelief as Tay and Kay greeted his father in unison.

"Oh, I didn't know I have three sons now," his father chuckled and removed his suit.

Tay then aided his father in removing his suit while Kay placed the briefcase on the nearby chair.

Like what the hell is happening now??

He thought to himself in utter disbelief as he watched the two assist his father.

*

"Here. Have some of this Kay."

His mother placed an ample amount of
pad phak on Kay's plate.

"Me too, mom."

He watched in awe as Tay handed his plate to his mom, obviously asking for some food...or attention.

But his mother gladly obliged and placed the same amount of food on Tay's plate.

"Thank you, mom."

Tay grinned and went back to eating.

"You cook just like my mom. You're both good cooks," Tay complemented.

"Of course. I've been eating her food since I was young and I can say that she's the best cook there is," Kay interjected.

"Oh really, then I must assume you've grown tired of it?"

"Of course not. Mom's dishes are always the best."

"Why do you call her mom? Don't you have your own?"

He stilled upon hearing Tay's statement for he was right. Kay lost his mother when he was ten and the topic was quite sensitive for him.

He looked at Kay who became silent and went back to eating.

"Boys, as much as I want my house to be lively, I don't want you bickering in front of the food. You can call us mom and dad as long as you want. There's nothing to argue about it," his father finally spoke.

"Yes dad," Tay answered while Kay just kept his head low.

_____

Tay stared at the plates on the sink.