Celebration

After we had gotten back from the interview, we all celebrated the awaited success by opening a bottle of fancy wine at Christine's house that night.

Sipping on a Don Pérignon, we all chatted peppily with a faint song playing in the background. The fire place was blazing with untamed flames licking at the sky as we all relaxed on the cushioned furniture. Starting to calm down from our joyous moment of ignorant bliss, I sat there in silence with my legs resting atop the cushion as I slowly swished the bubbly yellow liquid in its glass containment, all I could think was how I would keep my facade up and work my way through a secured, vigorous organization in which the first half layers of it were made of surveillance, heavily armed guards, and suspicious straight forward employees.

With my real background, I didn't know close to anything sciency and even then, Apex Cybernetics did something completely diverse and demanding.

Sensing my unease and clouded thoughts, Christine gently elbowed me to come back to reality.

"Hey, you are okay? Speak what's on your mind, tell us what's troubling you?" Leo placed his empty glass on the coffee table before giving me his attention as well.

With a sigh I let out my doubts and concerns to the both of them, "I honestly don't know if I'm ready for this, I mean I do want this and we need the ORCA box but this isn't like robbing a grocery store, this is something bigger and the consequences that follow after. Even then, I'm not the best practiced liar, I literally have no experience in really anything but traveling, I'm keeping this huge secret from my family, and everything's just going to shit!" Out of breathe and anger worn out, I fall back onto the back of the couch to catch my breathe.

Christine placed her hand on mine wrapped around my legs before speaking.

"Wow, I honestly didn't even think you had this much stress on you hun, but hey, me and Leo will be there every step of the way with you okay? And we'll also be there for when everything collapses and you don't know what to do. You've got friends who care very much about you and your problems. So, I officially declare that no matter the challenging obstacles obstructing your path, your friends are going to clear that debris and push you forward okay?" With tears glistening in her baby blue eyes and a smile painted on her lips, I smothered her with a bear hug, signaling with my free hand towards Leo to join.

With a chuckle, he gave in and joined the mass before we all eventually felt a tad better, or maybe we were all spent of energy celebrating and just letting our feelings out.

"It's getting kinda late and I have to get back to do laundry so I'll see you guys tomorrow and we can go over some planned drafts I prepared beforehand. Night guys." Leo voiced before grabbing his black satchel and exiting the house with a wave, the sound of the fireplace coughing out it's dwindling flame. Waving back, me and Christine eased down in the golden silence of the house.

Rising up slowly from the couch and stretching, Christine lazily murmured, "alright I'm heading to bed, could you make sure the fires out before going upstairs?"

"Yeah no problem, goodnight"

"Goodnight" with that, Christine made her way towards the staircase.

The sound of floorboards creaked above me as I heard her door shut, sealing my loneliness with me. Staring at the dying flames, I rested my chin on my legs and played with my fingers thinking about my parents.

They would be heartbroken, devastated, angry, maybe even betrayed...by me. I'd never kept a secret so critically significant before and I knew the longer I stretched it out, the harder on them it would be. Especially finding out your worst, and really anyone's worst, enemy was secretly stalking your child with unknown, probably sinister intentions.