33

It was a few days before we were to Retake Wall Maria. Everything we've worked for these past years. Everything I worked for would be coming to a close tomorrow. What would I do after this? Would we finally have peace? I shook myself out of my thoughts as I heard the door open. 

"Sorry, I'm late." I looked up so see Darius Zachly. "Well? Have we discovered what's in the container?"

"The thing is... Without our technology, I'm afraid we can't dig much deeper. Like we've heard from Eren and Historia, it seems to originate from some sort of human bodily fluid. However, it vaporizes when exposed to air, making analysis difficult. Whoever made it must have had technology far superior to ours. If it was the Reiss family, I can't imagine how..." I stood between Hange and Erwin. What she said did ponder my mind. What else had the royal family been hiding from everyone? But more importantly why? 

"Hmm. In that case, instead of tampering with it, we should use it to achieve our current objective." Pixis spoke up. Would they really try and use it on someone? What if they ended up like the Rod Titan. I'd rather die. 

"But who do we entrust it to?" 

"Erwin, to you?"

"No... I'm no more than a wounded soldier. This box belongs with one of our elite soldiers who has the best odds of survival. Levi, Issa, would one of you keep it?"

I froze up for a second then spoke up, "If I need to die for the sake of everyone else I will. Levi should keep it" Erwin nodded. Levi sighed. 

"If it's an order just say so. Why even ask the question?"

"We can't predict in what situation we'll have to use this. We'll be relying on you to make a decision on the fly. Judging when and who to use it on will be for you to choose. Can we leave that to you?" That thought ran through my head the second Erwin brought up me keeping it. I'm fine choosing my death but I can't force that upon anyone else. But Levi, he'll do what he needs to. 

"If this dream of yours comes true, what will you do then?"

"I... don't know. I won't know until it happens."

"I see... All right. I'll do it." he closed the box and picked it up."

"By the way, I'd like to unveil that work of mine soon. Have you given it thought?"

"You still haven't given up on that? If the public saw that repulsive display, trust in the military would hit rock bottom. You don't know art when you see it" I didn't know what they were talking about but from the sounds of it that was a good thing. I looked up to see Levi looking down. He held a tired face and you could see the years of pain and suffering the man has gone through. What would he do after this is all over? Does he have any plans? Maybe there's a girl, someone, in the walls he's been waiting to marry. My mind flashed back to Petra. The days go by so quickly and faces start to blur. How could I forget? She was clearly in love with the man but he paid her no sliver of attention. Why though? She was clearly beautiful, talented, a little on the young side but she was mature. God, I missed the girl. I missed the whole squad. I think I should pay them a visit. It's been too long. 

I sat on top of the desk in the room twirling water between my fingers as Erwin explained  the situation to the rest of the squad leaders, "In other words, Eren's father, Grisha Jaeger... is likely a human who came from outside the walls."

"Yes. Just like Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt, he possessed the Power of the Titans. But different from those three, he was supportive of humanity within the walls." Hange explained