Jost Adventures: King's Tavern (Night #1)

Tyson Jost Diary

October 1, 2020

Natchez, Mississippi

"It's a small house, so try not to clog the hallways or rooms. Spread out some," I call out as Comphy, Nathan, G, EJ, Gravy, Cale and I enter the infamous basement of the King's Tavern in Natchez, Mississippi for the third portal closing event.

The Pacific and Central Divisions of the NHL's Western Conference have done their part and I am forever grateful to all that helped (excluding the villains of course). But I knew there'd be challenges and people getting in the way.

I'm facing the volunteers of the Metropolitan Division of the Eastern Conference now. New York Rangers, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils are all gathered about the not-so-spacious first floor.

"Are you going to inform us about what we are going to do here?" Carter Hart pipes up, folding his arms and looking around at the different teams.

"When can I smash Hart's face in?" Nick Foligno snarls, pounding a fist against the palm of his hand.

I shake my head.

"Working together, idiots," Comphy hisses. "We're working together to find and close a portal hole that is most likely in this damn basement!"

"Seriously, Comphy?" I question.

"What, I'm just pointing out the obvious to the readers and the Metro peoples. Is it not the truth? I'm simply saving the reader a few unnecessary minutes of pointless, overdramatic dramatic action to spoil the ending."

"Well, when you write a story, I'll remember to return the favor. But this is MY Jost Adventures, so I want you to stop and shut up!"

"Are you two going to argue a lot?" Nico Nischier questions.

"Yes-no!" Comphy and I shout in unison.

"Good to know," Carter mutters with a roll of his eyes. "Avalanche players..."

"So, I'm guessing you'll want us to all split up?!" Cam Atkinson inquires.

"First we're going to group all the kids together and stick them in one of the rooms. Then we're going to discover who the villains are and then we'll split up because the villains will make us!" I remark, lifting my head up high and proud.

"I'm guessing you know who is who, then, eh?" Tom Wilson sneers, glowering evilly.

"I'll stay and watch the kids!" Chris Krieder shouts out. "I'm good with kids! I love kids! I'm Daddy Krieds!"

"Daddy Krieds!" Kaapo Kakko shouts out, in unison with Filip Chytil.

"See?" Krieds chuckles.

"Fine, fair enough," Comphy says. "Doesn't matter who it is."

"I suppose that'll work. Krieds is going to take the following people up the stairs to the third floor and stay there until everything is done, okay?"

Everyone nods and murmurs their agreement.

I clear my throat and list off, "Ryan Graves, Cale Makar, Filip Chytil, Kaapo Kakko, Sebastian Aho, Martin Necas, Alexandre Texier and Oskar Lindblom. Please go with Daddy Krieds."

Krieds stops out and motions for the chosen to follow him.

With a soft groan, Gravy and Cale finally leave us and join the kid group. They vanish up the stairs, heading for the third floor, which contains an area with two chairs in it. We can hear them as they shut the door, trapping themselves inside. 

"Excellent! Now we don't have to worry about them. Everyone else, prepare for the fright of your lives."

As if on cue, Nick Foligno, Kris Letang, Tom Wilson, TJ Oshie and Cal Clutterbuck's eyes flash odd colors like the evil players from the past two divisions. It startles the remaining players and then the lights flicker out.

Chaos erupts.

Cal Clutterbuck takes off after a group containing Kasperi Kapanen, Cam Atkinson, Nick Hischier and is led by Comphy. They head up to the second floor.

Meanwhile, Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie chase after Nathan, Connor Carrick, Andrei Svechnikov, Warren Foegle and Mat Barzal. They vanish to one side of the basement, out of sight in a cluster of dark shadows (near the kitchen).

I find myself with G, EJ, Carter Hart and Brett Howden, rushing for the stairs that lead out of the overwhelming basement. Nick Foligno and Kris Letang are hot on our heels. But an invisible force slams into us, before we can even reach the third step of the staircase. 

Let the Jost Adventures game at the King's Tavern begin!