C A P I T O L O V E N T I T R É

ABBIOCCO:

The drowsiness experienced after eating a big meal.

Contemplating whether I should visit Valerius or not, I sat down in my room and read the book Valerius gave to me

Contemplating whether I should visit Valerius or not, I sat down in my room and read the book Valerius gave to me. The only thing was that I couldn't focus. Each line I read, I would instantly forget what it said. The context of the book just wouldn't seep through my head. 

I placed the book down on my bed and got up. I walked downstairs, passing the two childhood lovers in the hallway. Reaching towards the office door, I stopped for moment to rethink my decision but then opened the door without thinking back on it. 

The musky scent of the room welcomed me. Valerius sat comfortably on his leather chair staring down at the laptop in front of him, with his glasses perched on his nose. It was exactly how I dreamt of it. Valerius averted his eyes away from the screen in front and looked at me with a grin. 

"Mm are you here to make your dream reality, tigre." He teased, his eyes returned back to the screen and resumed back to his typing. 

"No, I'm here to remind you that you don't decide what I can and can't do and where I can or can't go." I walked over to his desk and stopped right in front of it. Valerius laughed and shook his head. He had the audacity to just laugh. 

"Oh, dolce, what have I done now for you to accuse me for such a thing? "He said, acting all sweet and innocent. Valerius closed his laptop and set it to one side as he interlocked his fingers with each other. 

"Quit acting like you don't know anything. You know what you did!" I exclaimed. 

"Mind explaining, you see I have a very bad memory." Valerius was finding humour out of this and this is what exactly began to piss me off. 

"You told Abella and Papa that I'm not going to the ball and I'd like to know the reason why I can't?" Valerius got up and headed over to the bar next to him. Valerius took out a clean crystal glass and put three ice cubes in it. 

"Actually, I only told Dante to tell Abella so she probably told Theo. Carry on..." He said, pouring his whiskey in. 

"That's not the point. The point is that you have no right to decide whether I go somewhere or not." Before Valerius could take a sip of his drink, I snatched it out of his hand and placed it on the table. The sound of the glass meeting the varnished table echoed. 

"Well ever since you have been staying here and since our parents are away, Theo and your brother, Alexandre, gave me the responsibility to look after you. So I do have the right." Valerius reached for his drink, but I quickly pushed it further away from his reach. 

"So what, did you ask me?" I argued. 

"Shira, that place is dangerous, they could auction you and you wouldn't even know it. So you're not going and that's final." Valerius walked away and sat back down on his chair.