Chapter 14: Hearts

(Sophie POV)

Edaline wrapped me in a mama bear hug as I came home. I tried to escape to my room as quickly as possible, but that thing about parents, you know? "Hey kiddo! How was school?" asked Grady, my dad. My head has been in a totally different place than my body all day, ever since that night. My parents had concerned faces as I drifted past them and up the stairs. Edaline glanced at Grady and he nodded.

Up in my room, I pulled open my texts from Keefe.

Keefe: hii

Keefe: soph?

Keefe: foster?

Keefe: SOPHIE FOSTER

Sophie: Keefe! How did you text me so quickly?! Were you texting and driving??

Keefe: What? No, I was texting and walking to my car!

Sophie: Haha

Keefe: what's up

Sophie: My ceiling

Keefe: that's my girl

Sophie: dad's here gtg! ❤️

Keefe: ❤️

"Hey, kiddo!" said Dad, strolling into my room. By the look of his face, I was about to receive a very awkward talk. I saw two small shadows appear on the other side of my closed door. Edaline was here to listen, great! I made the mistake of leaving my phone face up, still displaying the texts between Keefe and I. "Who's this?" Dad asked. My face turned nuclear. "Oh that's... that's..." I stuttered. "Are those hearts? Is this your boyfriend?" he pressed. Oh no. Here comes the infamous Grady boy talk.