Chapter 23: Clues

(Sophie POV)

He's in the East. There's lobster and little rattlesnakes. It's North, because he mentions snow. I sighed. I was absolutely clueless! I searched up the best state to get lobster. Maine. Then, I pulled up a map of the U.S. Maine was Northeast! He has to be there.

Search: Are there rattlesnakes in Maine?

Maine has no rattlesnakes or any venomous snakes, for that matter... Maine was once home to the Timber Rattlesnake but we are told they were "extirpated" a number of years ago.

I'm heading to Maine. I sat down at my desk and browsed for the earliest plane ticket to Maine. "Mom! Dad!" I shouted from my room. I heard frantic footsteps hurry up the stairs. The door swung open and my parents rushed to my sides, thinking that I was calling for help. "What's wrong sweetie?! What happened, are you okay?" they questioned, feeling my forehead. I laughed. "I'm okay, guys. I just want to tell you that I'm taking a... vacation," I said. "Oh. Okay! I mean, are we allowed to come? Or is it an Only Sophie trip?" they asked. I didn't want to hurt their feelings, but I did want to be alone. Well, not exactly alone. "It's... sort of an Only Sophie trip?" I mumbled. They nodded in understanding. Mom patted my shoulder and said, "I hope you have a wonderful trip!" I smiled warmly. As they left the room, Grady poked his head in again. "Hey- forgot to ask. Where are you going?" "To Maine, I shall go. And Maine, I shall be!" I answered with a sophisticated tone. I packed my suitcase just in case it took a while to find him. My stomach flutters were flying with the thought of chasing my boyfriend down.