Chapter 16: Anger

(Keefe POV)

I traced my finger against the side of the knife. I'm not even going to kill her, so stop fretting over it. It's just the thought of having to do it. I don't care if Dad yells at me for sparing Foster's life. Then his words came back into my brain. "If you don't kill her, I'll just have to kill her myself." So she dies no matter what. Great. Suddenly, all my anger and anxiety and grief and jealousy came out from its pot. All my emotions have been bottled up and boiling, just ready to be poured out. I curled my hands into fists and pounded them against the wall. I screamed as loud as I could, remembering what it was like to be a tantrum toddler again. I kicked everything in range, and I almost tore a clump of hair out. Not that I would ever hurt The Hair. I swung my arms across shelves of artifacts and accessories, everything toppling over and collapsing on the ground. It felt good.

My dad busted into my room when he heard all the commotion. I simply glared at him and I burst into tears. "Your mother would not be proud of you, son." He shriveled his nose and glared right back at me. Then, with no words, turned on his heel and walked away. I wanted the holler back at him that Mom wouldn't be proud of either of us. I miss her a lot. What hurts is I'm not sure if he does too.