Chapter 28: Parents

(Sophie POV) (FUTURE!)

"Calla! CALLA, for Pete's sake! Come here!" I cried, chasing after my 4 year old daughter. She squealed and dodged me around the house. "Just one bite! Please! You need to eat SOME vegetables!" Calla snickered and shook her head no. I stopped and wiped sweat from my forehead. Suddenly, strong arms came from behind me and wrapped around my waist. "Let me try," Keefe suggested with a smirk. He snatched the spoon from me and took off after our daughter. "Here comes the airplane! Or is that a bat? Is that a superhero? Calla, come here and tell me what it is, I'm not sure! Do you think it's a witch on a broomstick? Or a flying pig?" he fake wondered, drawing Calla closer and closer. She giggled and exclaimed, "I think it's a fairy princess flying on a pig holding a big pot of gold just for me!" And in went the spoon, full of vegetables. That man works magic. "I disagree! I think it's Batman with jetpack boots that's going to save Stinky Breath Calla City!" teased our 7 year old son. Children are a handful for sure, but at least they bring excitement into both of our lives. Then, the doorbell rang.

"Grandpa!" the children cheered, running to greet Keefe's father, Cassius Sencen. "Hey kiddos! How's it going?" he asked, petting the little heads swarming around him. "Good! Great! Amazing!" they exclaimed. Next, the parents hugged and we all settled down for the rest of lunch. Thankfully, the children behaved at the table now that Grandpa was here. I snuck a glance at Keefe, who was watching his dad with gratefulness and love. Something they had never shown each other since I'd met him.

After our meal, Grandpa played with his grandchildren while Keefe and I watched happily. I sat next to him on the cough, my head resting on his shoulder. He was fiddling with a strand of my hair, probably feeling overjoyed at how his life turned out. I sure am for mine. I'm so thankful for two wonderful children, a lot of great friends, two supporting parents, and an oh so amazing husband. Keefe wrapped his arms around me and I smiled. From that moment forward, the Sencen family lived happily ever after.