Chapter 22: Christmas Shop

(Keefe POV)

I shivered. San Francisco to Maine is a big leap. I totally hadn't expected it to be this cold. I walked along the streets, gazing at the stars. If only I could gaze at them with Foster. Before it got freezing, I had to find shelter. I'd read about an abandoned Christmas decor shop that I decided to settle in. I laid down my coat and slept a terrible night.

Some part of me wanted Foster to find me. Another part of me told me it's safer apart. I spent my days in Maine crying, hurting, and wondering what it was like to be a normal boy with a girlfriend. I walked down to a nearby boardwalk and picked up a smooth, gray rock. I drew back my arm and chucked it as hard and as fast as I could. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

Sophie: KEEFE

Sophie: KEEFE

Sophie: KEEFE ARE YOU THERE

Sophie: Keefe talk to me! Are you okay? Where are you?? Please I wanna help you.

Tears welled up in my eyes seeing her name. I lost my mother. I can't lose Sophie.

                                                                                    ***

I grasped my mother's frail hand as she lay in bed. Her face was as pale as a ghost, and her breaths were raspy. My father stood in the doorway. His lips were pursed in a straight line. His eyes were completely blank. I turned back to Mom and tried to hold onto her for as long as I could. Tears of grief slithered down my cheek. "Love your father as I have loved you. Cheers to all you hard working men. You'll always be my amazing little boy, no matter what you have to go through your life." Those were her last words before she passed.

                                                                                      ***