Chapter 27: Can't

(Keefe POV)

I squeezed Foster as tight as I could, holding onto her as if nothing else in the world was around us. In my shaking hand was the knife. I held it behind her back, inching closer every breath I took. My emotions and my hands were uncontrollable. "If you don't kill her, then I'll just have to kill her myself. " My father's voice rang in my head. I couldn't. I wouldn't. I can't handle this anymore. The knife slipped from my hand and it fell to the floor with a loud clang. Sophie pulled away in surprise. "Is that a- were you- I- were you about to kill me!?" she stuttered, covering her mouth with her hand. My face fell to my hands. "I can't do this anymore, Foster! I try so hard to live up to my father's expectations that I lose myself every second I go on. I'm so tired of his order after order after order and his endless lectures! I'm so sick of being who I'm not!" I ranted. My hand raked through my hair. I looked up to see she was displaying a perfect, warm smile. For absolutely no reason, we both started cracking up till tears. I smirked. "Cute pom pom hat, by the way." She rolled her eyes and we played with Mrs. Stinkbottom until we decided to book a plane back.