Maple Walnut

Her chilling gaze bores through me, making it very hard to lie. I can tell that she's looking at my swollen cheek and hunched back. My mother is scary.

"Care to tell me what happened, Naruto?" She asks menacingly, her arms crossed.

I find it difficult to keep eye contact with her, my stare fixed to the wood floors. Sasuke stands behind me, probably also sensing the pressure and anger coming from my mother.

This isn't looking too good. I don't respond to her question, quaking in my shoes at her anticipated reply.

"Your mother is asking you a question. I accept an answer immediately." She declares, her fiery red hair seemingly blazing up.

I gulp, "Um... I ran into a bunch of ruffians after work and they b-beat me up... Sasuke showed up later and he drove me home."

I don't want to rat out Kiba. This lie will suffice, I hope.

Sasuke backs me up, "Yup. I found Naruto in shambles after those gangsters attacked him, so I graciously sent him home."

My mother stares us down, trying to see whether we're lying or not. We are, of course, but I'm hoping she doesn't figure it out.

"Hmm..." My mother taps her finger against her crossed arms, "Sounds believable enough. But that doesn't leave you off the hook though, Naruto."

"May I ask, why?"

"I got a call from your colleague today stating that you left work and never came back. Sasuke was on his lunch break, but you just left without warning. That's unacceptable."

She wouldn't understand...

"I'm sorry, mother. I have no excuse for my absence. I will accept any punishment you give me." I bow.

She sticks her hand out, "Your phone. Give it to me."

I'm almost seventeen years old and still getting my phone taken away from me!

"Very well." I agree, digging in my pocket for my phone and handing it to her.

At least she won't be able to snoop through it. I take serious precautions to make sure all my messages are private.

"You will get this back in a week. Judging by the severity of those wounds, you will be staying home until further notice to heal."

What?! But I have to work! I can't stay cooped up at home! I have to save up!

"Mother, why won't I be allowed to work?" I ask, trying to not sound so desperate.

"Are you questioning my authority?" She spits.

"No! I-I just thought that I may be fired if I don't work for a whole week." I stutter.

"Sasuke, dear, won't you inform your boss about Naruto's situation? I'm sure they'll sympathize once they learn that he's too weak to work." My mother asks Sasuke.

"I can do that, Mrs. Namikaze." He responds.

"Thank you. And please, call me Kushina!" She requests, like always.

"Okay, that clears everything up..." I sigh.

"Now, Sasuke if you don't mind, I have to treat Naruto's wounds. Thank you for bringing him home to me. You will see Naruto next week." My mother dismisses.

"It's my pleasure, Mrs. Namikaze." He replies politely, "Get better soon, Naruto."

"Y-Yeah..." I peep.