Chapter 52

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reader's pov

Lee quietly opened the door to Defense Against the Dark Arts and we hadn't made it two steps into the classroom before someone cleared their throats. 

"Hem, hem."

I cringed but turned towards the front of the classroom, all too aware of the eyes following my movements. 

"Sorry, professor," Lee began, "Peeves stopped us in the hall. Nasty thing 'e is. Then he was trying to make us late to class, which 'e obviously succeeded in, and then he-"

"That's enough, Mr..." She trailed off, smiling sickly.

"Jordan. Lee Jordan."

Her eyes turned to me expectantly. 

"Oh, erm, Y/n Y/l/n."

"Well, Mr. Jordan, Miss Y/l/n, please do me the favor of joining the rest of your peers," she gestured to an empty desk. 

"Yes, Ma'am," we both replied, rushing to fill the two seats. 

"Now that that's over," she smiled again, "please put your wands away and get out your books."

Confused looks danced around the room as her words were processed. Reluctantly, wands were shoved into book bags and the heavy books were taken out. 

"It has been brought to the attention of the Ministry," she looked all too proud at that, "that you all have not had the proper education that is expected of Hogwarts. The constant changing of professors, not following the proper curriculum... It is all a very terrible shame."

She clasped her hands together happily, "But that has all changed now! So," she tapped the chalkboard sharply and different numbers began to appear on it, "these are the pages we will be reading today. You may begin!"

The room filled with rustling pages as I flipped to the first one. I was only halfway through the third paragraph before I felt a pair of eyes burning away at the side of my face. Checking to make sure Umbridge wasn't looking, I glanced towards the person. 

My eyes met the cinnamon swirled brown ones I had been falling for for the last four years. But it was different. The shy, quick glances we had shared every time before now, the ones where we looked away as quickly as possible and pretended it never happened, those were gone. In their place was this look. And... he wasn't looking away.

Fred gave me a small smile, shy, unsure, unlike his usual cocky ones. I replied with one of my own and it seemed to ease his nerves and he relaxed more into his normal self. I was so focused on that smile it startled me when his mouth started moving. He, of course, saw this and chuckled silently before restarting his sentence. 

"Talk... after... class?" He mouthed silently, pausing to make sure I understood. 

I nodded gently, and upon seeing his eyes light up the way they did when he was pulling a prank, turned back to my paper, smiling like a fool. 

Except this fool apparently had the love of an even bigger one. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'll catch up with you later," I told Lee as we walked a little ways down the hall. 

"It's happening... I can't believe this. Years, Y/n. YEARS. I may pass out. I really might."

I had told Lee what had happened as soon as we left the room and I truly believed he was happier than I was. 

"Lee!! Shhh! We don't even know what's gonna happen. Don't get your hopes up!" I covered his mouth with my hands, quickly releasing them when he licked them.