Chapter 1

January was known to be an exceptionally cold month every year in Marilyn. Gulf Kanawut wrapped himself with the thickest blanket he had and listened to the rustling of the leaves in the backyard flipping through his office magazine hoping to withdraw some information.

The silence was heavy inside his room. It used to freak him out but eventually he grew out of it. A month has gone by since he moved out from his parent's place and here he was.

Everyone said, Marilyn city is the land of opportunities and he agreed. He finally was an intern but guaranteed to get recruited in the Wang Corporation after three months of internship.

The family name, 'Wang' was considered to be the most powerful people in the city. His boss, Wang Yibo, the chairperson of Marilyn’s oil Industry group, Wang & Co. Ltd., was the largest oil distributor in the country, along with more projects across the world. A 'wealthy, powerful' industrialist was an understatement to describe the Wangs because of their gigantic business empire. Wang Yibo was even famous for his passionless, stone-hearted attitude despite his good-looking features. At least, that was how the magazines and tabloids described about him.

Before he moved out from Arnevile, where his family lived, he never thought, he would be working for such famous corporates. And to top it all, he didn't expect his life to turn so easy after meeting another young intern, Xiao Zhan who became his closest companion in the office. In fact, their apartments were not even far from each other and hence, commuting together brought them even closer.

Suddenly, an unexpected rain greeted him, and the rain drops rattled on his roof sounding like a serenade. But within moments, his peaceful, cozy atmosphere was interrupted by a hasty knock on his door.

"Coming! " He shouted looking at his wrist watch which showed: 7:30. A little surprised over the unexpected guest, late at night, he opened the door to meet a drenching Xiao Zhan. "Xiao Zhan?" He bewildered opening the door wide.

"I called, but you didn't pick up". Xiao Zhan said in between chatters.

Gulf quickly welcomed him by throwing a towel quickly at his friend and switched on the heater wondering how his friend had ended himself up in such an unfortunate situation.

It was amusing, how his good friend looked so young and youthful even though he was older in age by about four years. Perhaps, it was because of his fair, smooth skin and the innocent, round eyes that looked as though he was always pleading, Gulf assumed.

"What made you rush here even in this weather and hour? " Gulf asked, taking his six feet height towards the kitchen cabinet to prepare some hot coffee.

"My laptop is going nuts and I have a report to submit tomorrow." Xiao Zhan responded after calming himself and took his back pack which he had kept it on the floor. " Did you hear? There's going to be an audit tomorrow. There's a rumor going on that the company might go through some significant change. "

"What do you mean?" Gulf asked worriedly, feeling quite disturbed. He only hoped that his job would remain safe no matter what. He just wanted to settle in and have a peaceful live and not go through the troubles he had went through before he landed in the Wang's care.

"I just heard from Sarah who sits at the counter. She told me that our boss may visit tomorrow and a lot of reshuffling could take place. Well, we can't afford to make mistakes in a day like that." said Xiao Zhan hanging the towel outside. "That's why I had to come. "

"Damn! I hope our jobs won't be affected. " Gulf sighed placing the coffee on the stool, briefly staring at his friend who looked like a soaked sponge at the moment. "Zhan, why don't you get changed into one of my clothes? You're prone to fall sick in this condition"