Best Friends?

Draco

I sped toward the bathroom where I had cried all my tears away before. How pathetic.
I didn't want this. I didn't want to become a Death Eater. I didn't want to worship him. it.
I cried for what seemed like hours, It felt as though my life had ended before it even began. I could feel my chest burning with every gasp of air I took. I didn't feel real. I felt as though I would disappear at any second, and I oddly took comfort in that. I wanted to disappear, because even death was better than this.

Cassandra

I found myself getting curious as to Draco's whereabouts.

I wandered the halls until I heard small sniffles, making me freeze. I stopped behind the bathroom door, pressing my ear against it. I could hear him crying which unconsciously broke something in me. I hadn't once thought about how Draco was taking this. I cursed myself at my selfishness.

I could picture exactly how he looked behind the door. I assumed he was sitting with his face buried into his hands.

I tapped the door lightly, "Draco?"

The sniffles suddenly stopped. I heard shuffling and the faucet. Within a few seconds, the door unlocked and sprung wide open, revealing a red-eyed Draco. I stared into his lonely eyes for what seemed like hours before I finally spoke up.

  "You don't have to do that."
  "Do what?"
  "Pretend"

I brought my hands to his face, cupping his cheeks.   
  "It's just me, yea?"

I assumed he probably thought me just as bipolar as I thought him. I acted coldly towards him at times. I even acted as if I didn't know him at all. But there was times that I couldn't, like now.

He nodded slightly, blinking tears away. I grabbed his arm and led him back to my room. He sunk to the floor and I sat across from him.

  "I'm scared Cass, I'm so scared."

He looked small to me then. He looked like the little boy who I called my best friend once upon a time. A sad little boy.
A whispered a low 'me too' before the sniffles returned, louder this time. He breathed heavily and he looked so fragile. I felt as though he would shatter if I laid one finger on him. I couldn't stand it any longer. I let my stupid 'no crying, it's not worth it' rule go to shit, my eyes slowly filled with tears, making the image in front of me blurry. He brought his head up to face me and I couldn't help but reach up to his cheek and dry his tears away.
  "Draco, promise you won't ever leave me again." Was all I could say before I wrapped my arms around him, burying my face into his shoulder.

Draco

I felt all the pain in my chest float away as I heard her say those words. To me it meant the world.

'Draco, don't ever leave me again'

  "I promise."

For me, that was it. The bad memories floated away and it was just us. To me this meant she had forgiven me. This meant she'd want me by her side, and I would be there, forever.
  "I've got you, Cass."
I reassured her every few minutes as she cried into my shoulder. It had been so long since i'd ever seen Cass like this. So evidently vulnerable. I knew she wasn't one to express her emotions, so I knew this was hard for her, and because of it, I appreciated this even more.
I found myself selfishly smiling. It felt wrong being so glad when she was internally breaking, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to dry her tears and kiss her, hard. I wanted to tell her that the kiss had meant something to me, because Merlin knows it had meant so much. I felt stupid now, remembering how I had stayed up all night telling myself I didn't care it had happened, knowing I had, cared.
She pulled away from our embrace after a few minutes, our eyes locking.

  "You won't, right? Leave me?"
  "Not ever, Cass."
She blinked a few times as she nodded slightly.
  "Best friends?" She asked hopefully.

And just like that, my heart broke, again.

  "Best friends."