Chapter 29: Mystery

Sapnap caught up to Clay as he was leaving the cafeteria.

"Hey, how did it go man, did you talk to him? He never answered my call so I was hoping you'd know what's up."

Clay just stared blankly at Sapnap for a second, then he shook his head.

"I never talked to him. He didn't go home."

"What?"

I wasn't expecting that, you'd think Gogy would love a visit from Clay.

Sapnap tried to get more information out of Clay. "So nothing has happened between you two besides what when down at the party?"

Clay seemed really defeated, he spoke softly. "No, I don't know anything."

"Okay-" Sapnap tried to think- "what I don't get is why everyone here thinks you rejected him, you didn't, right?"

"No, I-" Clay sighed- "I told you already."

Sapnap put an arm around him. "Well if there's anything I know from all my experience with women, or you know, just people in general, is that this kind of stuff passes. Loads of idiots just believe whatever they're told. Long story short, people are dumb. Hey- remind me to tell you later the story about the raccoon my friends put in my ex-girlfriend's hair."

"Yeah, ok Sapnap that sounds fun but I have to go to my next class."

"Sure thing bud," Sapnap started to head off, "see you after school!"

Clay stopped. "What?"

Sapnap turned back to him. "Soccer practice dude, what do you think?"

He could immediately tell by Clay's face that he had forgotten about practice.

Just how distracted is he?

Clay shifted his backpack in his shoulders. "Can you, um, can you just tell the coach I'll be a little late?"

"Um you know what's on Friday right?"

Clay looked kinda lost.

"The game," Sapnap reminded him. "The big game that's like prestigious and shit, the game where if we win we'll be like the best team ever, the game we get a chance in because of your awesome plays at the last one? That game?"

"Yeah." Clay sighed. "Can you just tell him I'll be late ok?"

This wasn't an issue for Sapnap, but he paused to consider Clay. "Yeah... what are you doing instead?"

"Well I was going with Skeppy and Bad and a6d to um try and find those guys who took, um, left with him. After the party."
Clay looked away and Sapnap could see on his face that he was beating himself up over something.

Sapnap could also tell that Clay wasn't telling him everything.

"And then what were you going to do?"

"I was going... going um.... to look... for George." He said George's name softly, like it hurt his throat.

"Okay, how about this-" Sapnap stood next to Clay. "We both skive off practice today and I'll help you look for George-"

"Really?"

"Yeah but hey, man, you have to go to the rest of the practices this week. Soccer is your thing, it makes you feel better right?"

Clay frowned. "Usually, I guess..."

"Ok then, I don't want you to get too down ok?"

Clay smiled at him, but it was a tired smile. "Thanks Sapnap."

"Of course, buddy," Sapnap pat his back, "now get to class like a good nerd."

Clay laughed and Sapnap smiled before saluting him and moving off to his own class.

Fuck I'm like 10 minutes late-

After a frankly exhausting day at school Sapnap was ready for the manhunt. Or so he tried to convince himself as he walked away from the soccer field to find Clay.

Twenty minutes later he left school with Clay after the little 'powwow' with his friends where they all said they found nothing.

It was the first time Sapnap had actually talked to Vincent at school, or caught his eye. He remembered hazily having a good time with him at the party, but now Vin didn't treat him very warmly. Maybe he was just a cold person. Anyway, it was time to think about George and focus on helping Clay de-stress.

He's just wound up with all the feelings I guess. I'm pretty sure he thinks something bad happened to George, but missing one day of school isn't a big deal.

Of course, Sapnap would go into a murderous rage if anything did happen to his Georgie Porgie, but for the moment since George was MIA Sapnap figured it was his job to take care of his man and make sure Clay didn't lose his mind.

They got to George's house and Clay stopped outside the door.

Sapnap walked past him. "The key's-"

"-under the flower pot, I know."

"OK, then why wait?" Sapnap picked up the key.

"Because it's polite to wait to be let inside."

"Nah, I always just go in." Sapnap unlocked the door and walked in as he said this.

"Pfff- okay then." Clay followed him.

He stopped just inside the threshold and Sapnap turned back to look at him.
"What?"

"It's just-" Clay looked around- "I haven't been here in awhile."

"Don't worry, his mom's at work. GEEEOOOORGEEEE!!" Sapnap called up the stairs. "YA SICK BUD? WANNA COME SAY HELLO TO YOUR FAVORITE BOIS??"

There was no answer.

"I'm telling you, he's not here," Clay said from where he stood at the door.

"Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. Come on slowpoke." Sapnap started jogging up the stairs but he stopped with a gasp of pain and sat down.

"You alright?" Clay was at his side.

"Yeah. Fine." Sapnap grit his teeth. "Just my damn ankle. I forgot."

"You should take it easy, if you injure it more there's no way the coach will let you play on Friday, and I know you want to."

"Yeah fuck that, I'm getting up these stairs if I have to crawl. Help me up."

Clay obeyed and half carried Sapnap up the stairs, also using the rail.
It hurt Sapnap's pride a little, but hell- who was Clay gonna tell anyway.

They got to the top finally and Sapnap stood by himself, feeling the waves of pain recede enough so he could walk.

Clay led the way to George's room. He carefully knocked on the door and then gently pushed it open.

Sapnap came to peer behind him.

The room was empty. Just George's unmade bed, rejected costumes on it and the floor, bookshelves, an old xbox set up in the corner, the window was open.

Clay wandered around and half-heartedly looked in the closet, but something on the floor caught Sapnap's eye and he hobbled over and stooped to pick it up.

"Clay..."

"Mhm?"

"Clay. C'mere."

It was George's phone, webbed with cracks.

Sapnap was starting to reconsider his theory.

(1.1k words)

o_O