Chapter 38: Tuesdays Are Better

Clay dove over the railing without a moment's hesitation.

He was too far behind George to catch him, but he could follow.

As the river rushed up at him, he briefly thought about how cold it would be. Then it was pushed aside and George was the only thing in his mind.
He smashed from freezing air into freezing water, knocking the air from his lungs and forcing him to involuntary shudder as every part of him started shivering uncontrollably.

He was frozen still, suspended for an agonizing moment, unable to move anything. Then he wrenched his body into action with sheer force of will.

He pushed his head above the surface to draw in a deep breath. Frigid air stung his lungs as he turned frantically in circles looking for George. There was no sign of him above the water.
Immediately Clay ducked under the icy surface to find George in the black depths. He flailed his arms around and squinted, turning about wildly in the bubbles.

Clay grew increasingly desperate as the darkness closed in on his vision.

He pulled himself up for another breath then plunged back down again, this time going deeper. With every cell in his body burning from the cold and screaming at him to get out, he swam a few more yards down.

There.

George was drifting much farther down in the darkness. Clay struck out toward him as soon as he caught a glimpse, despite his lungs starting to ache.

George wasn't moving.

Clay swam as fast as he could, pushing and pushing through the heavy water and fighting with everything he had.

George was floating up ever so slowly, his initial plunge and heavy waterlogged clothes fighting against the air steadily leaving his lungs in a stream of bubbles.

Hold on George. Pleaseplease just a few more seconds-
Clay pleaded as he tried to reach for him. His lungs felt like they would burst. He was panicking. He realized he wasn't close enough to him. It felt eerily familiar.

Nonononononono- Clay frantically swam back upwards for more air. Horror trickled down his spine as he left George, racing bubbles to the surface. At the top he panted once before taking in the deepest breath yet and diving down as fast as he could, directly over George. He knew he had to reach him this time.

George seemed lower than before. Still and tranquil, he was like a hovering angel. Clay was the opposite, kicking and pushing and battling as hard as he could, always moving and never stopping.
Clay felt the darkness staining the water around them and his lungs screamed for oxygen.

A filtered beam of moonlight fell down over George as Clay finally got close enough to reach for him. He grasped George's pale hand and yanked him up. Spots flickered in his vision as he wrapped an arm around George's chest and started kicking upward.

Halfway up Clay felt his chest hitch and he involuntarily inhaled water. He choked as the river invaded his lungs, eyes swimming with tears as he started to black out.

As a last-ditch effort he pushed George above him and kicked one last time as hard as he could.

Finally Clay choked in a shuddering breath as his head broke the surface. He coughed and swallowed a bit more water trying desperately to breathe.
Cold air assaulted his lungs again, but he welcomed the sting as his vision cleared and his body felt slightly less heavy. He coughed again to get the rest of the water out of his lungs. Then he clung George to him and started pulling him toward the land.

The freezing water numbed Clay's body, making it harder to swim every second.
He held George over his chest with one arm, above the water, as he moved the other in a weak backstroke, kicking vainly.