Chapter 40: The End?

Clay clutched the glasses hidden in his hoodie pocket.
He's gonna be so excited-

He smiled as he saw movement at the front door. He was waiting on the sidewalk outside of George's house to ride bikes with him to school. It would be George's first day back since getting discharged from the hospital.

At the moment George was trying to extract himself from his mom's incessant hugs and kisses goodbye. Clay had to smile at his flustered face.

George finally got away from her and rolled his bike up next to Clay's.
"Sorry about that. She's been extra clingy. Both of them actually, I had to tell my dad four times that he didn't need to drive me. FOUR TIMES!"

"Well it's understandable. But they should know you're in safe hands." Clay winked.

George's blush was evidence that he had been successfully distracted from his grumbling, and they started the short bike ride to school.

It had been just a week since he had almost died. George had mostly recovered and bounced back to his normal self.
Clay was sometimes haunted by the image of him not breathing, but it was slowly fading and being replaced with the happy picture of George alive and smiling.
It was easier to forget that and relax when he was around George.
George made him smile.

George caught him staring and trailed off.
"What?" He asked.

"Nothing," Clay grinned. "You're so hot it's distracting me."

"Oh my god, Dream," George laughed nervously. "You're such an idiot."

Clay decided to tease him.
"Oh my god, George." He let out a dramatic exhale. "You make me an idiot."

"Oh shut up."

"Oh my god, George, I'm such a lovesick fool for you George, ah!"

George rolled his eyes and tried to hide his smile. "You're so stupid."

"Awww George, but that's why I'm so lovable!"

"Hmmm no. I hate you."

Clay fake gasped. "HATE ME?"

"Yes. I have decided I hate you."

Clay stopped pedaling so George would have to slow down.
"Well that's too bad then, you really would have liked it."
He made a pouty face.

George jerked his head around. "What? Liked what? What are you talking about?"

Clay shook his head. "No. You hate me now so I'm not telling you."

George groaned. "Come ooooooon!"

Clay shook his head again. "Nope. It's nothing."

George pulled his bike up right next to Clay's. "Come on. Just tell me, Dream."

Clay smiled and sped up, leaving a surprised George in the dust. He called back to him, "You said you hate me, George! You don't deserve my love!"

George furiously tried to catch up. "That's not fair! Slow down!"

He wouldn't slow down. Scenery flew past them as the annoyed Brit chased the lanky athlete.
All it needed was some flower fields and romantic music to become an old-timey movie.

George quickly tried to make amends. "Ok I do love you! I was lying! Come back and tell me what you were talking about!"

Clay wasn't falling for it. He offered a cocky smile and called back, "It's too late, I'm leaving you for Sapnap!"

"OH THAT IS IT!!!" George put on a burst of speed, stubbornly getting closer to Clay.

Clay looked over his shoulder, smiled, and veered off the road to school, heading in a new direction.