Chapter 30: Nice People

TW // panic attack

Clay was walking through the hallway when he heard Skeppy shouting and ran to him.

Skeppy was with Bad, facing Grian. They had just run into each other; Clay was happy for a second because he could finally ask him about George, but he stopped when he saw Skeppy was upset.

"Didn't you take him home? What did you do?!"

Grian was caught off guard, he didn't say anything but Mumbo came out of nowhere and spoke harshly to Skeppy, stepping in front of Grian.

"He didn't do anything to George! We're both his friends- why would you blame us?!"

"Because you guys are the last ones seen with him and NO ONES SEEN HIM SINCE! You must have done something or said SOMETHING! ITS YOUR FAULT!"

"Our fault?" Grian's face hardened. "The one who said something was Clay." He looked past Skeppy to where Clay was standing.

Clay's heart rate doubled at the accusation.
No-

"Hey-" Bad cut in- "this isn't his fault. It's no one's fault. Skeppy-"

"No Bad. I know they had something to do with it! Tell me what you did!" Skeppy pushed Grian back onto the floor.

"HEY GET OFF HIM!" Mumbo yanked Skeppy backwards and Bad tried to make him let go.

"Stop guys- STOP FIGHTING-"

Clay was frozen where he was, everything far away.
No you're wrong
It can't be-

"HE WOULDN'T JUST LEAVE!" Skeppy yelled, struggling against Mumbo, who was holding him back from Grian. "YOU DID SOMETHING- ITS YOUR FAULT!"

Mumbo pushed him back. "DON'T SAY THAT ABOUT GRIAN! YOU DON'T KNOW HIM!"

A6d was next to Clay. "What's going on, Clay-" he caught sight of his face- "are you okay?"

Not my-
fault

"Hold on-" a6d stood up to Mumbo. "Let go of Skeppy."

"He pushed-"

"Mumbo." Grian stood up, cradling his arm. "That's enough."

Skeppy was still futilely trying to get to him. "YOU'RE BEHIND THIS I KNOW IT-"

"Skeppy-"

"NO BAD THERE'S NO OTHER EXPLANATION! IT HAD TO BE THEM!" A6d had to hold him back.

"You're wrong," Grian said.
He looked at Clay.
"You made a mistake when you hurt George."

hurt-

To Skeppy Grian said, "he was the last one to talk to him. Take out your anger on the one who deserves it."

Skeppy opened his mouth but a6d beat him to it-
"That's bullshit."

"Come on, Mumbo, let's go."
They receded back down the hallway.

Skeppy shook off a6d. Clay stumbled back into the wall.

George.

Clay slid down the wall, hands over his ears, the image of George at the party in front of his eyes. Cold-

"You guys-" Skeppy turned on a6d and Bad.

"Shut up Skeppy."
Vincent crouched down next to Clay. The others crowded around him.
Grian glanced back from the end of the hallway, his brow furrowed; they disappeared.

George-
my fault-
hurt him-

Clay was breathing fast and shallow.
Tears came down his face.