Chapter 39: Have Patience

Sapnap paced around the hospital waiting room impatiently.

The sound of his quick footsteps on the tiles was the only noise in the mostly-empty room. He wasn't aware he was making everyone else more anxious until a6d put a hand on his shoulder.
Sapnap briefly paused. He hadn't heard him get up.
"What?"
The question came out a little more biting than he meant it to.

A6d noticed the tone but didn't flinch. He just said, "you're tired. sit down for a minute."

Sapnap grudgingly sat down. I'm not tired. I'm restless.

A6d picked up his book and opened it again, getting away from everything.
Sapnap tried to transfer his energy into looking around for the gazillionth time. The walls were white. The chairs were tan. The ceiling was those panel-thingies that look whiteish but they have black dots and the floor was marble-y tiles. Sapnap was sick of looking at the room.
Grian was across from them, in the other row of chairs with Mumbo. He was bent over with his elbows on his knees, staring hard at the floor. Mumbo was sitting up with his head against the wall and arms crossed; his eyes were closed but his tapping fingers gave away that he wasn't sleeping.
Skeppy and Bad were to the left of Sapnap and a6d. Bad was asleep on Skeppy's shoulder and Skeppy glanced up from his phone at Sapnap staring at him. Sapnap made kissy faces and Skeppy responded with a rude gesture.

Sapnap smirked and carried his gaze somewhere else. He tried to distract himself. Patience was never something he was good at.
He recounted everything he knew.
George ran away.
Grian found out where his bike was and told Clay.
Clay went to get him.
Grian called an ambulance after Clay left.
Everyone came to meet George at the hospital.
They brought them here at like 12:20.
Now it's past 3am.

He started fidgeting in his seat.

Being hyperaware of everything, he suddenly noticed a6d hadn't turned the page in his book for a while.
Sapnap gazed at him and realized he was staring at one place on the page and not reading. He waved a hand in front of his face playfully.

Vin blinked.
"quoi?"

Sapnap realized a second too late that he didn't know what to say to him.
"Ummmmmmmmmmmmm 'quah' what does that mean?"

Vin closed his book. "I said what. did you want to talk to me?"

"Yeah... I wanted to say..."

Vin raised an eyebrow.
Jesus Sapnap get it together!

"...hi."
What is wrong with you?
You have literally been in the same room for hours.

"hi," Vin said back.

Sapnap leaned back casually. "So how ya doin?"

"fine," Vin answered quickly. He lifted his book. "reading."

"Mhmmm. Reeeeeeeading?" Sapnap asked slowly.

A6d narrowed his eyes and smoothly reopened the book. "yes."

Sapnap planted his hand over the page and looked at him daringly. "What does it say on here then?"

Sapnap enjoyed messing with him a little bit, and a smile grew on his face as he watched a6d try to remember what he last read.
Finally he snatched the book out of Sapnap's reach.
"fine. I can't focus because I am worried about the others and I would love to forget about the whole thing and read this but I can't because I can't stop thinking about it, is that what you want to hear?"

Sapnap froze in the middle of reaching across Vin for the book.
He wasn't expecting that honest of an answer.
He didn't know how to answer Vincent back.