12. Worry

I thought it would be awkward to see Ruby in school from now on but thankfully I was wrong. We actually got along really well and we started to become quite good friends.

One day I jokingly thanked her. After she asked why, I explained that I started a better lifestyle majorly because of her. We both laughed at that. Ruby talked about her mother sometimes and I even met her once. Ruby's mom was a cool middle-aged lady. She was very sweet and friendly to me.

The school was fine. I got good grades and there seemed to be nothing wrong. Miraculously my crush for Ruby faded away in only a few weeks. All I felt for her now was friendliness. I liked her, sure. But only as a friend. If I were completely honest that confused me a lot. It wasn't typical for me to have a crush on someone for that long and then "get over" of it in such a short period of time. I wanted to talk about it with Shelia but something was wrong with her.

After my date with Ruby, Shelia started to change. She didn't bring up meeting with me as often as before and she often seemed to be sad or in a pensive mood. I didn't know what to do because I had never seen her like that and whenever I tried to ask what's wrong she brushed it off like it was nothing.

I didn't like it. It felt like I was losing my best friend and I started overthinking things. Maybe she didn't want to be friends with me? But why and why now? I had to talk to her and find answers.