13. A confession

"Hey... Can you come here?" I said to Shelia. We were at my house preparing for a movie night.

I was worried. Shelia had never acted the way she did now.

"Yeah, in a minute." She shouted from the other room.

"What's up?" She said while entering the kitchen where I was preparing food.

"I need to talk to you."

"Oookay..." She said with a voice mixed with cheerfulness and nervousness.

I felt nervous too. After all, something was happening with my best friend and I didn't know what was the problem or how could I help her. Or was the problem me...

"Well, I will just jump in it. You have acted strangely lately and I'm worried. Has something happened?" I asked carefully.

Something in Shelia's face completely changed. She didn't seem cheerful or joking anymore.

"No, nothing has happened." She replied.

"Are you sure?" I asked one more time.

"Yes, I'm fucking sure! The heck is your problem?" Shelia raised her voice. I was honestly shocked.

Well, clearly something is wrong...

I didn't know what to say so I stayed quiet and looked somewhere between Shelia and the wall behind her.

Shelia's mood changed just as quickly as before.

"I'm sorry, Corny... I didn't want to be harsh. I think... It's better if I go home." She said with a lot of quieter voice.

"What?!" I was even more shocked.

Shelia laughed a little when she looked at my face.

"You look funny," she said and then got up.

I got up too and followed her to the lobby.

"Are you seriously leaving?" I said. My confusion was shaping into sadness.

"Yeah," she said while putting on her shoes.

"But... Why?" I asked.

Shelia opened the door and before she stepped out, she looked into my eyes and said: "Because I have been in love with you since kindergarten and I can't hide my love for you anymore."

She stepped out and closed the door behind her. My jaw dropped.

"The actual... Fuck?" My mind just collapsed and absolutely nothing made sense. My first instinct was to follow her but my brain started working again. Just enough working to tell me that I didn't know what to tell Shelia. She... She likes me? But like how? Or why? And what?!

I slowly put my shoes on and grabbed my jacket. I decided to go out. If I won't find Shelia, I will at least get some fresh air.