[ one ]

She jogs down the stairs, slim fingers skimming the white wooden rail as she calls into the kitchen

She jogs down the stairs, slim fingers skimming the white wooden rail as she calls into the kitchen. "Mum!"

A little black-furred friend bolts past her without making a sound and sits at the bottom of the steps. He turns his wide, blue eyes at his owner before meowing promptly.

He knows they're to get going soon.

"Mum!" She calls again, ignoring her cat. "Have you seen my history text?"

Her feet take her right from the stairs to the pale, ivory island counter. Her mum stands at the stove, pouring out a third cup of tea for herself. She turns to her daughter as the teal tea-kettle settles back on the stove.

"I haven't, no," she says. A nervous purse on her lips gives her daughter the impression she hasn't really looked for it either.

She tilts her head at her mother. "What's that look for?"

Quickly turning back to her cup, she shakes her head. "Nothing," she promises. "I just can't believe it's been another year..."

I knew she was going to do this, the daughter thinks.

She sighs softly, "please don't cry," and turns away from the counter. All of her things are gathered on and around the kitchen table just beside the island. The cat, Loki, is now perched on top of her hickory trunk next to a cloth bag. His thin tail flicks back and forth in anticipation.

"I won't... not until you've gone," Her mum tells her.

"Mum," She reaches out and picks up the dainty feline, cradling him to her side, "I'll be fine. Okay?"

"You know I know it," she says, "but after last years incident with poor Ginny..." The worried mother holds the mug close to her chest as she leans her back onto the counter. Her head shakes, her blonde waves falling out of the loose bun tied behind her head. "I can't help but worry, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! Molly must be loosing her wits over sending the boys and Ginny back."

Her daughter gently scratches behind Loki's ear, his purrs starting to pick up. "George said she's been unexpectedly calm this whole summer," She tells her. "She even let them run off on their own when they toured Cairo."

She suddenly shifts her demeanor into a curiousness of sorts. "You talked to George?"

"Um... yeah?"

"Hm..."

Confused, her brows furrow. She continues to pet Loki as she decides to elaborate to her mother. "I talked to... everyone? I keep in touch with my friends, mum. I didn't get to see them the entire past month, of course I wrote."

Her mum nods slowly, not relieving her daughter of the confusion balling up inside her head.

"Why are you being weird?" She decides to ask. "What— what's that look for?"