On Our Way

"The Mothership is just outside Wangen; March 31, 1922," Jiya announced as the information appeared on the screen.

Lucy stood nearby, arms crossed over her chest. Her body language still told everyone how upset she was that she was being benched on missions, but inside her head, she was mentally scrolling through her memory banks to come up with an answer for this. Historically, she was drawing a blank, but she kept digging. Everyone patiently waited for her to come up with the answer. It wasn't much longer that the anger on her face melted away as the light bulb within flipped on.

"What's the significance here?" Christopher questioned.

Lucy shook her head slightly. "I'm not sure if this is it, but the only thing that I can think of isn't really anything of great historical relevance..."

"What does that mean?" Denise asked, turning to face the historian to give her all of her attention.

Lucy uncrossed her arms and said, "A family was living on a homestead near there that were all brutally murdered."

"Someone important to Rittenhouse or Bloodstone, perhaps?" Christopher asked.

Lucy shook her head. "I don't think so... I mean, it was a widow, her parents, her kids, and the maid."

"Kids?" Flynn muttered under his breath. Images of Iris flashed before his eyes. Thankfully for him, no one heard him. He shifted in his place, realizing that he wouldn't be free of his haunted past just yet. Instead, Rittenhouse had a way of hitting him when he was down.

Lucy said, "This is the only thing that happens in history in this area. And the murders take place on this night."

"Then you better hurry," Denise warned Lucy. "Flynn and Wyatt will go with you."

Lucy's face brightened. "You mean-"

"Yes," Denise replied, cutting her short. "I'm hoping that I'm not going to regret taking back my earlier remarks on you sitting out, but know this; if you come into any danger when you're on this mission, I may have to pull you."

"You won't have to," Lucy offered. She smiled wide, happy to be back to doing what she wanted. She started towards the Lifeboat and stopped briefly to whisper, "Thank you." Denise nodded and Lucy continued into the Lifeboat behind Rufus. Flynn and Wyatt climbed in shortly after.

The hatch to the Lifeboat closed and latched. The mechanics on the outside began to whirl, the air in the room began to move, and then the Lifeboat sucked itself back in time, leaving the others staring at the void.

Just as Agent Christopher began to head to the common living area with her mug from home, Tenley walked in step with her. Denise looked at the doctor and knew immediately what she was thinking. "Don't say it."

"What?" Tenley feigned. "I don't know what you're talking about." She smiled at the woman.

They reached the coffee machine and Denise filled her mug. "I thought about what you said," she admitted. "I figured that you were on to something and we'd see how it went... a trial run if you will." She stopped long enough to take a sip of coffee. The moment she swallowed, she gagged. "Ugh, who made this?"

"Wyatt," Tenley replied, trying to hide her smirk.

Denise poured the coffee down the drain, not just from her mug but also from the carafe. She started to rinse it out for a new pot of coffee. She eyed the doctor out of the corner of her eye. "Someone needs to teach that boy how to make a good cup of coffee." Tenley laughed, knowing everyone agreed.

1 Mile Outside Wangen

March 31, 1922

The Lifeboat was nicely hidden in a small grove of brush, out of sight from any passersby. The team quickly stumbled upon an old farmhouse where they managed to secure clothes. The clothes were pretty modest and plain, as was most of the population in the area.