From The Edge Of Despair

The sun had set hours ago. The kids were asleep on a few bales of hay inside the barn. Karl and his wife were quietly arguing about the plan at hand. Karl's in-laws were already hiding out in the safety of the priest hole. They understood the dangers and agreed to wait there until someone came to get them.

Wyatt muttered to the team, "We're wasting time here. They need to get into the damn hole before Rittenhouse shows up."

"Could be Bloodstone," Rufus reminded him. When Wyatt eyed him, he added, "Not that it matters who it is, really..."

Lucy nodded in agreement. "I just don't want to get in the middle of ... that." She motioned to their fighting. Their voices were hushed, but their body language and hand gestures spoke louder than anything else.

Wyatt sighed. "We don't have time for this..." He walked over to them. "Listen," he started, getting their attention. "You really need to get into the cage... we still need to cover you up so you're hidden."

Karl turned to Wyatt. "There's a small problem..."

"What?" Wyatt asked, tone rising with annoyance.

"She doesn't want me to fight," Karl admitted.

"But you're not-" Wyatt replied.

Karl shook his head. "They're after me. I need to man up and protect my family... I need to end this."

"They'll kill you," his wife started.

Karl raised his hand to silence her. "If I die, you and the rest of the family have a chance to escape and live out your life without having to look over your shoulder... I'd gladly die to make sure that you're all safe."

"But you don't know if we will be!" she spat at him.

Wyatt exhaled sharply. "We don't have time for this. Get in the damned hole!"

Lucy started to gently encourage them into the safety of the makeshift priest hole. As she began to lower the kids into the ground to the wife, Flynn whispered loudly, "We've got company."

Wyatt cursed under his breath. "Get in there...quickly!"

Lucy handed the baby off to the wife and Wyatt suggested, "I think you should get inside with them."

Lucy furrowed her brow. "What? No. You need me!"

Wyatt shook his head. "I think it's better if you're hiding with them. Keep the kids calm." What he didn't tell her was how he feared that these men might do something to her, either take her back with them to God knows where or they'll kill her. He couldn't go through that again.

Lucy was about to protest when she realized that they still needed to bury the priest hole. She nodded, pushing aside her pride and fear, and helped get the top of the cage over them.

The moment the lid was secured, the rugs were pulled over, and dirt was being shoveled over them. Lucy hated tight places. She closed her eyes, trying hard to breathe, trying to think of other places, outdoor spaces with lots of air, and no walls. She felt a small hand grab hers and her eyes opened.

It was pitch black inside the hole. She heard the tiny whisper of a voice, "It's okay to be scared...I'm scared too."

She smiled, not that anyone could see it. She gently squeezed the little girl's hand, holding her tightly. "Thank you. I'm glad you're sitting next to me." It wasn't until the cage was completely covered up and the dirt distributed like the rest of the barn, that Lucy realized that Karl was not inside with them.

Outside the barn, just as they were informed, stood four men in black suits. They were armed and waiting for them to emerge. The man standing in the front shouted, "We know you're in there, Karl! Come on out! Give it up."