Chapter 21: Flashbacks

Kao POV

"Do you have a pen? Can I borrow it?" asked Pete. We were strolling down the hallway after we have our date in the Pink Cafe. 
"Where's yours? Did you forget it?" I said while tucking my hand into my sling bag
"Oh, it's Non." Pete smile vanished instantly as soon as Non appeared right in front of us.

"You guys are not safe," said Non. "You have to leave. Now! It's too dangerous--"
Before Non could resume, a screech echoed from the hall. We glanced over, and a huge Hellhound shifter was sprinting towards us. 

My poison ax worked its way and formed on my hand, I let my sling bag loosed from my shoulder as I charged towards the Hellhound. I swung down the ax over the Hellhound's jaw, pinning him to the floor. 

"Guess, we should leave." I was catching my breath.  "Tell, P'Arthit we should have our own plan to save our buddy's ass."

***

"That's the basic plan." I said. P'Arthit was seated from the center of the room in the Gear Hearts library. Kong was standing at the corner with May while Pete, Non, M, Bone, and Sandee were at the table.

"The rebellion strikes but we attack ahead of them?" asked Sandee, who had her fingers over her lips.
"You don't think it can be easily done?" I looked into the window, toyed my fingers with the open book page. 
"I didn't say that it could." replied Sandee. 

"I don't think that it's possible to go in without notice." said Bone. 
"We will go under the sewers then." M suggested. 
"We are not going in the sewers, it might be crawling with stinky demons." I snapped. 
Pete raised his hand. "Um, I'm way done with stinky demons."

"We attack the Ice King with water magic," said M. 
"His ice magic is strong." Kong stated matter of factly. 
"Just keeping things noted just in case." M shrugged.
"Well, my point is, it might be a basic plan or not. It's the only plan we've got." Kong stared. 

"I'm gonna need every single one of you on this ship." said P'Arthit. "Especially you, twins."
"Okay, pride, honor." M waved his hand under his chin. "What do we have to do?"

"The execution would be held in the throne room, and most of the magic council who sided with the King would watch Khai's death." said P'Arthit, tapping on his arm. "M, use your teleportation magic while the rest of us will either play undercover civilians or guardians to help Khai escaped. Third, on the other hand, will just react on his own escape."
"And where are we gonna go?" asked May.

"You know, I do all this planning and I'm in charge here even though I'm not really at my best." P'Arthit sighed. 
"Aaaw, he's so cute." Kong pouted. "Isn't he so cute?"

***

Non crashed to the floor outside the Gear Heart's Library. "What's your problem?!" Pete grabbed him by his shirt. "Stand up, what is this about?" He was eyeing him in suspicion.
Non had tears on his eyes as he shakes his head.

"Are you okay?" I asked.
Non was just whimpering, so Pete shoved him up to his feet again. "Tell us!"
"It's Dad! H-He summoned those Hellhounds, Strife's got bitten, and mom...s-she, she tried to stop my dad. But she got injured severely and she might die." Non said. "I can't keep up, I can't keep up, I can't up..."
Pete gripped on his shirt so tight that it might be torn apart. So, I put my hand over Pete's arm. "Pete, let him go."

Without another complaint, Pete just simply let go of his hand from Non. "They're gonna die, and I'm gonna be all alone. I've lost so many people in the past, how can I ever be all right?"

"Non, no matter how many people you lose, you have no other choice but to keep on living." I said with a sad smile. "No matter how painful it is."

Non hissed and grabbed me by my shirt. "How can someone like you possibly understand me?!" I took off his hand gently from me. And like that, his anger melts into anguish. "I understand. Now, can you help us with this war?"