03

Imagine how Malakia felt when Jacob barged into her room with a boombox speaker blaring Nonstop by Drake at 1am in the morning!

1am! She wanted nothing more than to yell profanities but her parents were just down the hall.

She had slept about 30 minutes ago after binge watching Supernatural and raiding the kitchen.

"I know you're awake! You take forever to get ready and if you don't wake up now you're gonna be late, which is gonna piss Ma off and that's gonna ruin the mood plus-"

"Fine! I'm awake, leave, I need to get ready." Malakia said propping herself against her headboard.

--------------
Malakia looked at herself in the mirror and smiled.

"Good morning, you look good Princess." Malakia's smiled widened as her father came in and kissed her forehead before walking out again.

"Thank you, Papa."

She took time to look at herself in the mirror. She was wearing blue jean shorts, a white off shoulder crop top and black Vans shoes.

Her hair was into two afro puff buns, a lipgloss and some light makeup.

"You are done! Who would've thought!" Jacob said walking in and slumping on Malakia's bed.

Jacob was only two years older than Malakia but was he a pain!

"And you're wearing the same clothes as yesterday with a ketchup stain on the front, who wouldn't have thought!" Malakia said tossing a hairpin at a Jacob who was cuddling with her stuffed animals.

"It's called reusing plus it's not even that evident." Jacob said using the hairpin tossed at him to clip back his unruly curls.

"You're disgusting."

-----------
The drive to the airport was rather quiet. Jacob was sleeping, Mason had his earphones on blasting some heavy metal song, their parents just silently chatting about who knows what and Malakia was seated between two boys who just hate being touched so she contemplated against leaning her head against any of them.

It was still dark outside, only a few minutes to 4am. Their plane was leaving at 6am and she wanted nothing more than to fast forward to 2 weeks from then.

Having to see Aunt Juju, Malu, Poochie, Vee and Aunt Juju's overbearing husband just played heavy on her nerves.

She last saw them 6 years ago back when they were still living in Florida, then Ronald, June's husband got a job offer so they left.

She really hope the island did them some good.

Malakia sighed and leaned her head back against her seat before shutting her eyes.

××××××