05

The moment June announced that Kia would be sharing a room with Vee she wanted nothing more than to just yell until 2 weeks has passed.

"It's not that bad really." her mom had said when she noticed the mortified look on her face, but they both knew it was that bad.

She really just wished her mom would change her mind and have them checked into a nearby hotel.

The last memory she had was when Vee was back in Florida at her 9th birthday party when Vee made a wish and blew out her candles and took her tiara and sash.

She despised the girl for crying out loud! Aunt Juju knew that the girls cannnot stand each other.

She was glad to hear that her cousins were still at school, giving her more time to bid farewell to peace and quiet and to also get some rest.

Vee's bedroom had her persona. It had loud colours, glitter and sparkles everywhere. Quite blinding under the angry lights, but had a very peaceful vibe to it.

She unpacked her clothes and crashed on the vanilla smelling bed.

------------------
"Malakia!" She almost fell off the bed.

Sitting up to rub the sleep away from her eyes she sat up and looked at where the voice was coming from.

There she is. Malakia thought with a stunned expression on her face.

She gave the girl a small smile as she squealed, throwing herself at Malakia.

She had really changed from the last time. Spotting black hair braided into twin French braids, she got a lot taller too and her usual chubby cheeks were replaced by a chiseled jawline and jaw dropping cheekbones.

She got slimmer too! Malakia thought releasing Vee from the weirdly warm embrace.

"Look at you! You have changed so much." Vee said throwing her book bag near the blue bean bag.

"I should say the same about you! You look great!" Malakia complimented earning a shy smile from Vee.

Okay this is not my cousin. Malakia thought. Vee was anything but shy. They must be playing a prank on her.

"I thought you're gonna be your usual stuck up self but I am glad you're not!" Vee said with a smirk.

"I was not! You were just mean." Malakia gasped putting her hand on her chest.

"Because you didn't want me to be Regina George!" Vee said sniffling before her eyes met Malakia's and they bursted out in laughter.

"You're a clown!" Malakia squeezed in between the laughs.

"You up for a stroll?" Vee said immediately when the laughter died down.

"This late? Is it not dangerous?"

"Hun it's only four pm, and I promise we'll stick to this part of the town. We won't go further than the ice cream shop." Vee reassured.

"Alright! Lemme put on my shoes."

-------------
After a lot of convincing and pleading Vee and Malakia were walking down the street making jokes and chasing each other.

"Aye Vee!" Malakia was in the midst of a laughter when an unknown voice called out for her cousin.

She suddenly got nervous as the figure approached them. She started fiddling with the hem of her shirt, a nervous habit she has.

Vee squinted her eyes to get a better view and immediately smiled at the male.

"Mers! Wagwaan?" Malakia was surprised at how Vee suddenly went from speaking English to patois. Even her whole accent changed, it was very amusing.

"Ah me deh yah yuh know. Who this be?" Under the streetlight when the male turned towards Malakia she got a clear view of his face.

He was wearing a black shirt with green cargo pants and black sneakers.

Yasmin was right! Malakia thought resisting the temptation to bite her lip.

"Oh she's my cousin, I told you last week she was coming over. Her name is Malakia." Vee said and Malakia just stood there awkwardly.

"Oh the one from Florida! Hi, I'm Jo-Mersa but you can call me Mersa." Now Malakia was even more confused.

This man spoke patois just two seconds ago She just shook her head and stuck out her hand to shake the male's hand.

It was warm and there were beads around his wrists. He was quite attractive. He had long locks, reaching almost his mid-back. He was lightskinned with a 5'oclock stubble. He smelled of ganja and a musky cologne, such an odd but unique scent.

If Malakia was seated she would've crossed her legs long ago. She didn't know when he left but she saw his figure retreating towards where there was a group of guys smoking outside an abandoned building.

"Girl you have a crush!" Vee squealed jumping down the street and Malakia didn't even object, she just started running after her cousin with a silly smile on her face.

It's not a crush, he's just good-looking. Malakia debated in her head, but she just couldn't wipe off the silly smile.

×××××××××