04

Norman Manley International Airport
KIN, Jamaica.
07:34

The moment they stepped off the plane Malakia felt it, the vacation rush.

The island heat hit her and it surprisingly calmed her, she felt more at ease and her mood lifted.

After the security check. She glanced over her shoulder to her parents and her mother's eye caught her, and she gave her a knowing smile.

She felt like home, she was calm.

The airport was busy, bustling with honeymooners, retirees, surfers and holidaymakers.

"Our taxi's outside." Mrs Kahale announced picking up speed and hauling her luggage along.

"Good because I need to sleep." Jacob commented with a sigh.

"That's what 730 miles does to people who are not used to traveling." Mason shot back earning a look of disapproval from his dad.

"That's your brother not your friend."

Malakia was surprised at how friendly the locals were. Everything felt right, she felt like a part of them and she knew that's what her mother wanted.

--------------

25 minutes later they stepped off the taxi and the mood wasn't what it was at the airport. The house before her was grand, a whole palace! But the mood...

Malakia didn't know if it was because her parents were cooped up in their own conversation, or if it was because Mason was too trying to find WiFi or if it was because Jacob was literally two seconds away from sleeping.

"Remember, be nice." Mrs Kahale said with a smile as they approached the iron gates.

"But respond to disrespect." Mr Kahale chimed in earning a head shake from his wife.

"Brenda!" They heard a high pitched voice from the porch as they opened the iron gates.

There she was. Standing with a hand fan and a neon pink sun hat, not a very pretty sight.

Well she gained weight alright Malakia thought with a smirk. Suddenly she remembered all those times when she was still a toddler and her aunt teased her about her weight.

"June!" Brenda said running to hug her sister.

"Wagwaan?" Brenda teased standing back with her hand on her hip.

"You still know patois! Surprise me." June said throwing her head back to laugh before the gang standing behind her sister caught her eye.

"Aubrey look at you! You have put on so much weight!" June leaped into his arms.

So inappropriate Malakia thought in disgust.

"I could say the same about you June." Aubrey said with a chuckle accepting the cold and not so comfortable hug.

Jacob snickered making June turn to look up at him.

"Well aren't you just getting taller. Isn't it cold up there?" June said with a sarcastic smile.

"Perks of being a basketball player. It's actually peaceful up here." Jacob said with a shrug.

Mason only got a head pat and a smile which infuriated him, he had spent half a bottle of hairspray on his hair.

When she turned to Malakia she just knew she's gonna tear her apart.

Luckily for her her dad pulled her to his side and smiled at June.

"Malakia, you're getting prettier by the day. You did take after your aunt after all." She said with a straight face.

"Who? You or Tania?" Brenda shot back earning a chuckle from June.

"You're full of jokes. Come inside."