Chapter Eleven

"Hey, look! A sword made out of a whale's tooth." I said while Aang draws the weapon free from the ground, Sokka slides down the slope and pulls up behind us, snatching the weapon from his hands as Aang turned to show it to him.

    "Let me see that." Sokka walks on for a little while, before he stops, not too far from Aang, to study the weapon closely. Sokka bears a wistful expression while holding the whale's tooth scimitar in the same way as his club. "This is a Water Tribe weapon." He turns to Aang, his expression serious. "See if you can find anything else."

I watch Aang and Sokka search the wooded area for more weapons. Katara walks toward me, curious.

    "Did someone lose something?"

    "No, we found something!" I said smiling. Aang looked to me with big heart eyes and then goes back to looking. I point Sokka to a spearhead lying on the ground beneath a few fallen leaves. Sokka kneels before it, brushes aside the debris and picks up the spearhead, examining it and running his fingers along its point, noticing ash on it.

    "It's burned." He says then looks at a tree trunk, scorch marks and sharp cuts running across its bark. Cut to shot of Sokka and the others. "There was a battle! Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders." He turns away from the tree and looking down the slope of the hill seeing a black spot on the ground. "The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill."

Sokka races down the hill along a dirt path, the camera panning downward. He leaps over a few large rocks in his way and continues forward then a sandy beach. Sokka arrives first followed closely by Aang and Katara. I stayed back sadly. My people are killing and hurting innocent people.

    "So, then what happened?" I heard Aang ask as I reach the trees.

    "I don't know. The trail ends here." I grab Aang's hand and bite my lip.

    "Wait, look!" Katara says pointing to a Water Tribe ship, half obscured behind large rocks, sitting idly on the shore.

    "It's one of our boats!"

    "Is this dad's boat?" She and Sokka run toward it.

    "No, but it's from his fleet." Sokka strokes the boat off, while Aang and I get closer. "Dad was here."

Later that night I was keeping everyone warm while Sokka kept watch. I yawn softly and played with the fire.

"Who's there?!" Sokka yells as he gets up holding out his boomerang.

"Sokka?"

    "Bato?"

    "Who the what now?" Aang said pulling my closer. "You're so warm." He says rubbing his eyes.

    "Bato!" Katara said cheerfully. I bit my lip and noticed I was floating up. Aang smiled down at me and I blushed.

    "Sokka! Katara! It is so good to see you two." He hugs Katara and Sokka. "You've grown so much!" Aang and I follows them, but remains standing a few feet away.

    "Hi, I'm Aang." Sokka cuts him off.

    "Where's Dad?"

    "Is he here?"

    "No, he and the other warriors should be in the Eastern Earth Kingdom by now." Both siblings look crestfallen at this news. A gust of wind blows, causing them to shiver. Bato who shivers as well. Babies. "This is no place for a reunion. Let's get inside." He turns and slings his arms around Sokka and Katara, leading them away. After a moment, he looks back at Aang and I gesturing for us to follow.