Chapter 26: It hurts a little

Cassandra POV

"Let me get you some coffee, boss." I purposely highlighted the title boss, knowing that he doesn't like it when I addressed him like that.

I chuckled while running to the doorknob as I noticed the unsatisfied look on his face. "I will get back to you later, Cupcake." I suppressed my laughter hearing his statement from the room. Luckily, I managed to run before he could do anything to me.

I went straight to the pantry with a smile still plastered on my face. I took his cup from the cabinet and ready to make his favorite coffee while humming a random tune.

"Looks like someone is in a good mood this morning," I immediately sensed the negative vibe from that voice. A familiar voice that I don't like but seems like I can't avoid in the office. So, I pretended to put on a fake smile, play along with her acting.

"Yeah, it seems like I'm in a good mood today and I hope no one will ruin it." I make sure to saturate my words with sarcasm and hopefully she can read the sarcasm between the lines.

"Keep praying for that, I will pray for you at the same time. Hope you will enjoy it for the whole day."

"Oh, thank you for your kindness."

"Just wondering, how is your day last Friday?" Her question immediately brought back the dark memory that I tried hard to shove behind my head. My hands started to shake but I hide it. Letting her notice my weakness will be the last thing that I want it to happen.

"Last Friday?" She nodded her head when I turned to look at her. "Why are you so interested in my day?"

"Well, just being concerned. I just want to be nice to my boss's girlfriend." I wanted to vomit at her sentence that sounds nothing but fakeness.

"I have a good day and thank you for asking."

"Did you go to eighteen floors? Is there anything fun in that darkroom?"

"H-how do you know about that?" All my effort to act strong in front of her vanished at the moment the word 'darkroom' lingered on her lips.

"Well, it wasn't hard since everyone in the building was talking about the same thing now. You know, words spread faster than anything else in the world. By the way, congratulation for the cheap controversy."

"Watch your-"

"What? You want to remind me to watch my mouth?" She snickered before I could complete my sentence. "Before you ask me to watch my mouth, let me remind you gently to watch your behavior. Shame on you girl, you brought nothing to Mr. Gonzales except ruining his name in public. He did a big mistake by bringing you here and this relationship with you was a big mistake." She shook her head, acting that she was being pitied to Carlos.

"What do you want from me? I won't let your words affect me," I glared at her while fuming with anger, "I won't let you!" I enunciated the words.

She let out a peal of humorless laughter, mocking at me.

"Keep saying that, I like your spirit. You should know by now, not everyone in this building like you."

"I'm aware of that, and I know that you are the only one that hates me since the first time I stepped into this company."

"You're right about that but you might be wrong that I'm the only person that doesn't like you here. You see, someone even locked you in the darkroom."

"Stop, stop talking," I saw a smirk on her face, and she has no intention to hide it at all.

"Ops, where is the girl that acts strong earlier?" She walked past me, purposely bumped onto my shoulder making me almost stumble on the floor.

"Oh yeah, a gentle reminder, be careful. I can sense that this won't be the only time they will get you locked in the darkroom. Watch out, girl!"

Her attempt to scare me was successful. My hands were shaking and the hot coffee spilled on the back of my palm. It wasn't hurt compared to the pain that hit me from her words.

I quickly placed the cup aside and rushed to the washroom. I let the cold water ease the pain in my palm. While the tap water runs on my hand, I can't stop myself from thinking about her words. Having the thought about how I ruined Carlos's name and the darkroom incident made my stomach cringed.

I felt so helpless for letting her have the chance to manipulate my mind. I shouldn't but I still let her have the power to do so. The ringtone of my phone snapped me out from my deep thought; I quickly turned off the tap before pulling out my phone.

"Cupcake, what took you so long?"

"I-I'm sorry, I will be there right away," I ended the call and strode to the pantry and refilled his cup with the coffee.

"I'm here," I called for his attention the moment I reached the room. He looked away from the screen in front of him.

"Anything happens out there?"

I smiled, "nothing, I went to the washroom, and here is your coffee," I placed the cup gently in front of him.

He suddenly pulled my wrist when his eyes caught the red patch on the back of my palm. With obvious concern, he asked, "what happened? Is this the reason it took you so long?" I wanted to release my wrist from his grip, but he doesn't allow me.

"Cupcake," his voice was gentle but full of authority at the same time. He stared at me making me stopped my movement.

"Hey, don't cry," I mocked myself inaudibly at the moment my tears suddenly flow on my cheeks. It wasn't the pain that made me vulnerable like this. He walked to my side and in a second my face was in his palms. "I'm not scolding you."

"No, it's not about that. I-I just-"

"Shh, I'm sorry," he pulled me closer which make me buried my face in his chest, finding comfort.

"Does it hurt that much?" His hands were on my back, stroking with some comfort. While his other hand grabbed my injured hand and examined it carefully.

"No, I'm just being oversensitive. It hurts a little." I pulled away from his body, turning my sight to our hands.

"Maybe we should put some cream so it will get better." Before I could say anything, he pressed the intercom and asked the skeleton to bring some medicine for me.

"You don't have to do that. I feel like a burden to you now."

"What I said about this issue in the car earlier?" He pinched my nose faking his angry face.

"Alright, I'm sorry, grumpy boyfriend." I teased, lighten up the mood.

At that moment, the person that I really hate to see appeared with a safety kit in her hands. Glad that Carlos asked her to leave after he took the box from her.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤