Chapter 23

TW: mentioned sexual/physical/verbal assault (it's hinted at and only in a few sentences)

"Here we are!" Namjoon said, as you both came to a stop in front of a coffee shop. It was a modern, two story shop with the entire front wall of the cafe being made of windows. The sleek black walls added to the minimalistic feel. The sun had nearly dove beneath the horizon, and the neon signs of the street shops lit up the neighborhood. 

Namjoon started to reach for the door handle when you tugged him back. "Wait! The cafe closes in five minutes," you said, noticing the cafe timings listed on the door. 

"So?" he retorted, one eyebrow raised in a questioning look. 

"So?" you echoed, shocked by his lack of mindfulness. "It's rude to enter a shop so close to it's closing time, especially if it's a food or retail place." 

Namjon scoffed before turning and tugging on the door handle. "Rules like that don't apply to celebrities Y/N-ie."

You stared at the back of his head, eyes blown in complete astonishment. Namjoon was one of the most humble, considerate men you'd ever met. His complete disregard for the comfort of the workers left you speechless. 

"Wha-How..." you sputtered, keeping your feet grounded, refusing to let him enter the shop. "People like you disgust me!" You yanked your hand away from the man's, as if his touch had scorched you. 

Namjoon turned to look at you, eyes devoid of all emotion.

"How can you be so inconsiderate! Those poor workers slave all day, having to deal with disrespectful customers left and right. I really thought you were different..." To say you were disappointed was an understatement. 

Namjoon's eyes creased, looking at you in scrutiny, before wordlessly turning around, walking into the shop. You followed helplessly, assuming you would have to be the one to apologize for your soulmate's behavior. 

The inside of the shop matched the building to a tee, complete with black marble flooring and dark steel tables. To the left was a winding staircase that led to the sitting area upstairs. Straight ahead was the ordering counter flanked by clear cases that showed off the various pastries. A chalkboard hung on the red brick wall behind the register, names of specialty coffee written in an elegant scrawl with multicolored chalk. Cute pictographs of coffee cups with faces decorated the menu. 

The cafe was completely empty, save for you and Namjoon. 

"See," you hissed. "It's too late, let's go." You tugged on his bicep, but Namjoon didn't move an inch. He simply reached over and rang the little bell sitting on the dark counter top. 

You huffed in annoyance, still appalled by the situation and Namjoon's actions. Just when you were ready to lecture Namjoon on people skills, a young woman walked out from the employee room behind the counter. She looked rather frazzled as she shoved open the door, looking to see who the customer was. Although her hair was falling out from her ponytail, she still had a sweet look to her. Judging from her outfit and her intricate eye makeup, you assumed she must've been in her late twenties, maybe around Nayoung or Minji's age. 

When Namjoon moved to pull down his mask, the woman's face rested into a relieved look, a genuine smile taking over. "Namjoon-ah, it's just you!"

You tilted your head to the side, clearly confused by the woman's lack of surprise that a BTS member was in her cafe. It was as if she was used to Namjoon's appearance. 

The woman looked at the watch on her left hand. "You're early today, no schedule?"

Namjoon let out a quiet laugh. "No schedule today Haneul noona. Although I need a slice of chocolate cake to go."