Chapter 29

TW: Mentions of physical abuse

Jeongguk's POV

When Namjoon knocked on the door of your apartment, all four boys were shaking in anticipation. They had no idea what happened to you, if you were ok, or if you were even back home.

Jeongguk's heart dropped to his toes when the door swung open, and muffled screams were audible from the second floor. He stared at Jaehwa, eyes wide with thinly veiled worry.

"Come in," Jaehwa said somberly, wincing when a particularly loud shriek echoed through the hall.

"Is that Y/N? What happened??" Taehyung badgered the older girl as he stepped across the threshold. Once all four boys had entered the room, Jaehwa shut the door, cutting off the chill wind from outside.

The girl turned towards the four boys crowded in the front hallway of her apartment. "I thought Nayoung unnie said there was only supposed to be three of you," she deadpanned, face void of all emotion.

Jeongguk looked to the floor, feeling guilty.

"Jeonggukkie wanted to come too. He's been too restless to sit at home," Seokjin responded, reaching over to take a hold of the youngest's hand.

Jaehwa wordlessly nodded, walking past the boys into the living room. Jeongguk and Taehyung shared a confused glance before following their older soulmates further into the apartment.

You always spoke adoringly of your members and how compassionate they all were. Jaehwa's off-putting and intimidating aura confused Jeongguk. She was nothing like the sister you'd told the boys about.

Your muffled screams of pain only got louder as the boys entered the living room. Jeongguk gripped Seokjin's hand tighter when a particularly sharp yelp fell upon the boys' ears. Jeongguk's heart clenched. He could only dream of what kind of wound caused a cry that raw and haunting.

"Noona, what happened?" Taehyung asked from his seat on the couch. His knee was bouncing, a sign of his agitation.

Jaehwa's eyebrow quirked as she sent Taehyung a withering glare. "Noona? And who told you it's ok to call me that?"

Jeongguk's eyes widened as Taehyung's shoulders hunched over apologetically. The youngest looked at Seokjin and Namjoon, but both seemed unfazed by Jaehwa's rude behavior. Jeongguk was angry, but he kept quiet. Jaehwa was older than him, so he had no right to chastise her.

Jaehwa gritted her teeth as more screams pierced through the silence that fell among the five idols. "I'm assuming you guys know the truth now, about Lee and what he does to Y/N?"

The boys nodded, all attention on the woman sitting before them.

"He must've been particularly angry today because he's never hurt her this bad before. He..."

For the first time since they had arrived, Jeongguk noticed a expression on Jaehwa's face. Pain.

"He whipped her."

There was a charged silence as the boys processed the three words. Namjoon was the first to react.

"Whipped??" The disbelief was clear in his voice.

Jaehwa nodded somberly. "We don't know for sure but the doctor said the lashes on her back look like they were made by a leather belt."

Seokjin and Taehyung inhaled sharply as Jeongguk's jaw fell open.

Tears began to form in his eyes. "But...why?"

When Jaehwa turned her gaze onto him, Jeongguk felt a bit afraid. He didn't want to offend her any more than he already had. The boy was shocked when he realized there was no negativity in Jaehwa's face. Rather, she looked sympathetic.