Chapter 26

You knocked on the door, scuffing your sneakers against the floor as you waited anxiously. For two minutes, there was no answer. You raised your hand to knock again when the door opened, Namjoon waiting on the other side. 

His face was void of emotion as he looked you over. If he was worried about your disheveled appearance, he didn't show it. You knew you must've looked wrecked, hair in a messy ponytail, still curled from the award show, glasses crooked on your nose, eyes red and puffy, a hint of mascara smudged under your eyes from the haphazard way you took off your makeup. 

Silently, Namjoon turned around, walking back into his home. You stepped inside, closing the door behind you. As you bent down to take off your shoes, a slight burn formed in your throat. You felt like crying. On any other day, he would've greeted you, invited you in and waited for you to take off your shoes, making a short joke about how he'd help but you were much closer to the ground. Today, however, was not just another day, and no matter how much you'd prepared yourself for the iciness you'd receive, it still hurt.

In the living room sat all seven boys, staring at you when you entered. In the middle of the large couch sat Hoseok, tucked into Seokjin's chest. Both boys wore short sleeved shirts, exposed skin touching wherever possible so Seokjin could send calming waves through their bond. Emotions sent by the eldest soulmate were the strongest, and for a moment, you wished Seokjin would hold you like that as well. 

Jeongguk sat on the other side of Hoseok, head tucked into the older man's neck, nosing at his skin. Jeongguk, who wore his heart on his sleeve, was the most emotionally sensitive out of all of you. You knew that your actions tonight would've seemed like a direct hit of betrayal to him.

Taehyung sat next to Jeongguk, arms wrapped around the younger boy's waist, cheek pressed between his shoulder blades. Jimin sat on the floor, head placed in Hoseok's lap, gently rubbing his knees in a soothing motion. Namjoon and Yoongi sat in the single, cushioned chairs on either side of the couch. Namjoon continued to look at you expectantly, unwilling to jump to conclusions without hearing your side of the story. Yoongi on the other hand hadn't looked up at you once since you arrived, and you couldn't tell if it was because he was disgusted by you or hurt. 

You stood just a step inside the threshold of the living room, facing the boys. "Hoseok, I'm so sor-"

You were cut of by a scoff. "Sorry? You're sorry?" Hoseok glared at you, lips pulled into a scowl. 

"Hoseok," Namjoon warned, voice deadly calm. "You promised to hear her out." Seokjin rubbed Hoseok's arm up and down, trying to pacify the younger's rising anger. 

You stayed silent for a minute, a bit hesitant to speak. "I didn't mean to hurt you, I-"

It was Jimin this time who interrupted. "How could you not mean to hurt him? You withholding the truth from us wasn't accidental, you knew this would happen."

You were starting to get a little frustrated, annoyed that they weren't letting you speak. "If you would just hear me out-"

"Stop," Hoseok rose to his feet, moving out of his soulmates' arms. "I don't want to hear your excuses. Do you really expect us to believe that 'you didn't mean for this to happen'?" Hoseok's voice took on a mocking tone, making air quotations with his fingers. "You just conveniently forgot to mention that you were going for the same award the eight thousand times I mentioned it to you? All those times you came over and watched me practice when I invited you, were you just taking notes on how you could do better?"

Hoseok scoffed, walking towards the stairs. "If idol life doesn't work out for you, you should try your luck as an actor. You've got the deceitful, underhanded villain role in the bag."