Chapter 12: The Curious Case of Luo Binghe

Meanwhile, in Shen Qingqiu's Perspective...

"The trail ends here, but demonic energy is scattered everywhere." Liu Qingge examined the cold water of Luo River. "I've never seen a corpse emit so much energy in a large area."

Yang Yixuan observed carefully beside his master: "Shizun thought so too? I thought I must be mistaken so I didn't bring it up."

Liu Qingge sighed. "You should always tell me your observations, even if they turn out wrong. What's the point of making you my disciple?"

Flustered, the young disciple bowed deeply. "I will, sir!"

"Wait, this doesn't make sense." Yue Qingyuan frowned.

"What is it?" The Bai Zhan Peak Lord asked.

"Luo Binghe's energy fragments are not only scattered." He realized. "It's everywhere."

"What do you mean, everywhere?!" Liu Qingge shouted in disbelief.

"Can't you all sense it? That's why we can't find a specific trail to where the soul came from." 

Mobei-Jun nodded. "We noticed."

Shang Qinghua interjected. "But I didn't---"

The demon glared at him and he shut his mouth. "Aren't you supposed to be specialized in logistics?"

Shang Qinghua scratched the back of his head. "Of course, yeah, I noticed it the first time we got here!"

Mobei-Jun just glared daggers at his companion and the poor novelist-turned-cannon fodder whimpered.

Mu Qingfang stroke his beard. "I've never heard of a soul scattering, not even for demons. Should we ask Tianlang-Jun about this?"

Shang Qinghua: "He's still recuperating from the aftermath of what happened and.... the last time I saw him when we let him go, he's trying to find someplace to bury that nephew of his. I don't know how far he can travel with those injuries, but I haven't heard of anything at all."

Yang Yixuan: "I don't get it. How does a body be at a bamboo house at Qing Jing Peak miles away then suddenly appear floating in Luo River alive, yet with traces of his soul scattered? This is not like the Dew Seed flesh shell situation that happened to Lord Shen Qingqiu at all, the body he was holding should have shriveled instead of magically disappear or transported. It's almost like there's two Luo Binghes...."

Liu Qingge: "Two Luo Binghes?"

"Ah, I might be speaking nonsense, Shizun." The disciple was more energetic than his already super puppy-like self because of the mystery unfolding before him, but still conscious of his Shizun's disposition.

Yue Qingyuan: "What do you make of this, Shen?"

"Huh?"

Shen Qingqiu wasn't listening to this conversation at all. His head was elsewhere while he's staring at the ice cold river rushing through.

Liu Qingge: "We just found out that Luo Binghe's soul fragments are scattered everywhere. Were you listening?"

"Oh, really?" He made a confused look. "How did that happen?"

Mu Qingfang: "That's what we're trying to figure out. Sect leader Yue asked if you have any ideas?"

"No, I..." His eyes are still wondering off to space. "That is strange."

"Shen Qingqiu..." Liu Qingge frowned and tapped him.

"Hmm?" He didn't turn to him and just kept staring at the water clashing through rocks.