It Might As Well Be Spring - Louanne Hogan [Grethan] (1940's!AU)

He wasn't moping. Nope, he sure wasn't. He was just taking a break was all, from ploughing the fields, watching from across the way as Grayson worked on using Daddy's gun to shoot his way into a hay bale they'd fashioned with an old piece of timber, painted in a bullseye.

His brother sure had been salty about not winning at the last State Fair and it showed, given the twitching of his eye as he let off another bullet, the henhouse becoming a mess of feathers as the chickens got spooked again by the noise.

God, he hated this town, but he'd never tell anyone that. This little backwater piece of shit had been his home for 22 years. Small as it was, everyone knew your business and sometimes he wished people knew when to shut up and shut up good.

It'd be a godsend once they left for the Fair this year. They could forget this place even existed for a while. That's what Grayson had said anyway.
It would also give him a chance to get the hell away from that Chamberlain girl across the way and her wild ideas of them being together. Snow would fall in the state of New Jersey before he even set foot near her.

Plus, he was already talk of the town, given small towns don't like it when y'all get married and then your wife decides to see another man, only for that man to end up dead on the side of the highway the next day and the whole town thinks you killed someone.

The divorce to Kristina had hit him hard, leaving him penniless and having to move back into his parent's farm, but he didn't really care much. At least he had his brother.

He's always had him, since he was born. He loved him more than anyone on Earth.

Distracted, he eyes Grayson's pants, which if faintly, are still stained with motor oil. The same kind he uses in his car that, funnily enough, was all over the Larray boy when he was located after his Mama had searched the night for him.

Looking up, he meets his brother's eye and they both stare at each other before they go back to their respective surroundings, a blush hotter than the Summer heat reaping up his neck.

Mother and Father said that this year, they'll have to have their own trailer on the lot next to theirs, Father's idea of course. After the spectacle Ethan made of himself and Cameron being with her husband and kids, he thinks it'll build them some more character and keep em' out of more trouble than what they've already made for themselves.

Nobody needs to know though that's the last thing both are going to do in that trailer, but it's easier to say nothing.

It's their little secret. Like always.