Charles Vane x Reader

Info: Y/N and Charles have been together for many years sailing as a feared duo. But what happened when shes putting stuff away and a small box falls to the ground?

Warnings: Slight swearing?

~♡~

I grimaced as I entered the captains quarters that I had been sharing with one Charles Vane since we had met many years ago.  He had no sense of cleanliness he had left lots of his clothes lying all over the floor and splayed on the leather chair in the corner of the room (where we have had many a good time) but not the point. I sighed and picked up one of the many shirts left on the floor, I slid my own shirt off replacing it with Charles's. I brought the soft fabric to my nose breathing in his scent, it made me feel safe, it made me feel home.

"Charles, Charles, Charles." I chided to the empty room he was out on deck talking with Jack about our heading. I went about the room collecting the discarded clothing folding it neatly before bring the clothes I had deemed clean over to his dresser. While we shared the room and bed we were out sailing for months at a time so every piece of clothing we owned was stored in our own cabinets. I pulled gently on the brass handles that adorned his and it slid open, I dropped the clothes inside and went to close it again when the ship took a sudden lurch knocking the drawer clean out of the frame.  I sighed as I looked at the scattered clothes again. 

"Perfect!" I cursed my luck as I quickly and messily tossed the clothes back in. Its not like he'd notice a difference anyways. I lifted a brown shirt to reveal a small box that had clearly been thrown from the drawer upon impact with the ground. Curiosity got the better of me as I opened the lid just a crack to peer inside. the light from a nearby candle caught something shimmering on the inside. I shook my head closing the box, Charles and I didn't have secrets if he had wanted me to know he wouldn't have tucked it away in his clothes. I nodded to myself content with my decision to leave well enough alone.

"Shit!" The ship took another sharp jolt sending me back, I dropped the box. Charles must be at the wheel he had never been one to work with the waves. I glanced down to where the small box had fallen and gasped. The lid of the box had opened and inside was a ring. Charles had an engagement ring! We had been together for 7 years and I had given up the idea that marriage had ever crossed his mind. Scooping the box up gently I looked closer at the shining piece of jewellery inside. It wasn't big and blingy which I was thankful for, after all I spent most of my days working on a ship and something like that would clearly get in the way. I smiled to myself as I hugged his shirt tighter around my. He was going to ask me marry him. I closed the box placing it back in its hiding place before putting the dresser back together. I had a warm feeling as I thought about how he may ask. I had already planned to spend the rest of  my days sailing the seas with my Charles Vane but this just seemed like more, more of a binding contract, more of a promise.

"All you have to do is ask." I whispered to no one. It was getting late and from the tossing and turning the Ranger was doing I could tell Charles wouldn't be down for a while. I crawled under the blankets of our bed and snuggled down as I let the ship lull me to sleep, my mind filled with ideas of our future. I would wait for him to be ready to ask but I already knew what my answer would be.

Yes.

Short and not as Charles based as many others I've written but this came to me in my dreams last night and when I woke up I knew I just had to write it. Hope you enjoyed and comment if you have any other ideas for what I should write next.

~M&D